Paper Izukus Vs The Real Izuku

Mikumo had just completed his shift, and was walking down the street when he came face to face with himself.

Well, his face at least.

The paper had his old appearance on it, along with a wanted request.

He sighed, turning around and walking away.

Why hadn't they given up already? It was annoying, seeing his face everywhere.

He had only hacked into the Hero Commission's database, it wasn't like he'd murdered someone!

Well, okay, not like he hadn't before, but that had been self-defence, so it didn't count.

Behind him, he heard a gasp, and a choked sob, and he twirled around, only to come face to face with the blond he had seen just a week ago.

He was startled: Bakugou Katsuki, the strongest person he knew, was crying. Crying because of him.

He contemplated ignoring it, but guilt swelled up inside him, because he knew it was his own fault.

In the end, with a suffering sigh, he walked to the boy, tapping his shoulder, making him snap his neck towards him defensively.

Seeing who it was, Katsuki lowered his hands that had raised in reflex.

"Akatani." he said, wiping his tears, and trying to act strong, though failing miserably at it.

Mikumo smiled his plastic smile.

"Bakugou-san. A pleasure to see you again. Are you alright?"

Katsuki scoffed, though a hiccup made its way out of his mouth right after, and straightened his back.

"I'm fine. Now fuck off." Mikumo's smile didn't change in the slightest.

Instead, he walked away, confusing the boy, then came back a few minutes later, two cans of coffee in his hands.

He tossed one to the boy, then sat down on a bench on the side of the street, leaning against the wall, then patting the blank space next to him.

Katsuki stood there, stunned, before he complied, sitting down next to him.

They were silent for a while, the only sounds the gulping of their coffees, before the blond spoke up.

"I know who that is." Mikumo turned to him, silent. Katsuki took that as him listening, and continued. "His name was Midoriya Izuku. We grew up together... Until he disappeared a few years ago. We were told he had probably died." He took in a shuddering breath, and once again stared at the paper of the greenette. "His name isn't there, but I'm sure... It has to be him! But then..." he sighed, rubbing his face tiredly. "Why didn't he tell me? He disappeared so suddenly and I... I never treated him well."

He was silent for some time more, sipping his coffee once again.

"It was my fault he ran away." he said finally. "And I thought it was my fault he died."

Mikumo stayed silent, thoughts running through his head.

So the blond blamed himself. Well, that wasn't unexpected, but the dyed ravenette had never known that the boy had cared so much for him.

In the end, he asked:

Why didn't you treat him well if you care for him?" he asked.

Katsuki sighed, rubbing his face once again, sadness etched on his face.

"He... He was Quirkless, yet he still wanted to become a hero." He paused, his eyes glossing over as he reminisced about the cheerful greenette. "I was afraid. Afraid that he would get hurt. The world has never been kind to the Quirkless, and with his... disadvantage... and his hero complex, he would get hurt."

Mikumo couldn't say he was surprised by the information. As soon as he had learned how much the boy cared for him, the possibility had run through his mind.

He hummed in reply, leaning backwards, tilting his head up towards the sky. It was starting to get dark. Not that it mattered to him.

"He must have his own reasons." he told the blond, who snapped towards him, his swollen eyes eagerly awaiting his answer. "Maybe he got into trouble, or he's done something unlawful-"

"That's impossible!" Katsuki cut in, fuming. " Izuku would never do that!"

Mikumo's laugh dimmed, startling the other boy. They made eye contact, crimson clashing against crimson, and the blond was stunned as he saw just how old and exhausted they looked.

"You don't know what it's like to fight for your survival, Bakugou-san," he said softly. "You don't know what it's like to fight for a single scrap of food in the bottom of the trash, to kill for the dry spot in the heavy rain, to get on your knees for a single penny. Living is much harder than you think." He stood up, dusting himself off, and tossed his empty can to the trash on the other side of the road, not even staring at its direction as it bounced for its side, falling inside.

He turned back to the boy once more, and smiled his usual smile.

"If he's still alive, then he surely isn't the Midoriya Izuku you knew anymore."

Katsuki sat there, stunned as the boy waved at him, then turned around, walking away as I'd they hadn't been talking about something serious a minute before, humming a tune the blond didn't recognise.

Katsuki continued sitting there for some time, before his phone rang and his mother's screaming voice came from the other side of the call, demanding where he was.

As he snapped back a reply and dropped the phone back into his pocket, his mind was filled with many questions:

What had happened to Izuku?

Was Akatani correct?

And most importantly...

How did Akatani know so much about the homeless?

Meanwhile, Izuku, now out of his disguise, whistled as he tinkered with a smart watch he'd found, fully intending on turning it into a hidden video camera.

Nothing was better than collecting information secretly, then using it for himself.

After all, with his connections, many in the Underground would be interested in them.

Especially the brokers.

Those guys did good business.