16: Ambush

Malia's phone binged and she picked it up, seeing she had a text from Stiles.

Still working on a plan.

Malia hit Reply, then stopped. She'd been thinking about how Vincent had referred to her as a Hale. She looked in her mirror, trying to find the resemblance to Derek and Peter. The only thing she could find was they shared the same dark hair, although they had black hair and she had brownish blond. They also had lighter color eyes than she did. But they were shapeshifters like she was, but neither could fully transform into a wolf like she could a coyote. Although she had heard that Derek's mother and older sister had the ability. Her eyes fell on the photo of her family. She didn't exactly look like the rest of her family either.

Can I ask you something?

Sure

Why would Vincent call me a Hale? Are the Tates related to them?

I really don't know. I can ask for you if you want.

Could you?

Malia's thumb hovered over Send. Did she really want him to ask? Derek hadn't tried to deny or confirm it. She hit Cancel. She heard her father making a lot of noise in the kitchen and went to see what he was doing. Three empty beer bottles were sitting on the table, two more were laying by the trash. Mr. Tate was sitting at the table working on a bottle of Jack Daniels.

He looked up when Malia stopped in the doorway. "What do you want?"

"I heard a lot of noise. I was just checking to see if you were okay."

"I haven't been okay in eight years." Malia knew it had to be the alcohol talking. "I thought I lost my family for eight years. And then the sheriff comes in here opening up old wounds." He downed a glass and then poured more. "And then he drags you here. I want my wife and daughter back!"

"You have one daughter back."

Mr. Tate snorted. "I have someone else's daughter back."

Malia froze. "What?"

"I have someone else's unwanted daughter in my life." Tears began to form in Malia's eyes. "You ran and hid for eight years. You couldn't come back to Beacon Hills and tell people what happened. You had to hide like the little brat you are! No wonder your parents didn't want you!"

"How can you say that? You're my father!"

"I'm not your father!" Mr. Tate threw the glass at the wall, pieces of glass shattering everywhere. "I never was!"

Tears streamed down Malia's face now and she turned and ran from the kitchen, slamming the door to her room. She grabbed her book bag and gym bag, stuffing what she needed into them. She wasn't going to stay with someone who didn't even want her here to begin with. She passed by the kitchen with her bags.

"Where do you think you're going?"

"Anywhere but here."

"Where are you going to go? Nobody wants you." He grabbed her gym bag.

Malia's claws flicked out and she scratched his cheek. Mr. Tate's eyes widened and his hand went to his face. Malia adjusted her gym bag. "Don't touch me again," she sobbed. "Don't ever talk to me again!" Malia slammed the front door on her way out.

~~~

Stiles opened the door to find Malia standing there with her book and gym bags, tears streaming down her face. "Malia, what's wrong?" He took her gym bag and led her into the house.