Gracie

I watched as Charlie and Jake readied themselves to search for supplies. They said they'd go through the back and find the little store they go to for backup materials. Apparently, they've been stationed here for months, and the store still haven't emptied yet.

Charlie sat down next to me and sighed, staring at her pack. She turned to me, her hair coming loose from her ponytail. She stared at me in a weird way, making me a bit uncomfortable. It looked like she wanted to say something, but wasn't sure how.

"Look," she said after about four minutes of staring. "I'm not good at these, but... Thank you." She said it like it was a question. "For, uh, saving my life."

"You're right," I said. She furrowed her eyebrows in confusion. "You're really crap at this." She smiled and looked away.

"I've only said that once that I can remember." Charlie looked back at me. "And I just said it." She sighed again, and dug through her backpack. She pulled out and handed me a long, narrow sword-type-thing.

"This is a stiletto," she said. I reluctantly took it, seeing it was the thing she stabbed the Screecher with the day we met. "You'll need to kill a Screecher with a head kill. You can use this to stab its neck or head." She stood and shouldered her bag.

I watched as she walked out the door, where Jake stood waiting. They left without another word, leaving me here with a sleeping Creeper Sean. I sat quietly, doing nothing. It felt like hours, but it must have been minutes, because Charlie didn't trust me alone for that long.
Me, being an impatient person, I wanted to explore. Taking my stiletto with me, I walked out the door. I had no idea what I was doing.
***
I was in the middle of a town of some sort. It was empty; no Screechers in sight. Silence was everywhere. It was a bit unsettling.
My hair blew in front of my face, and I thought how impractical it was to dye my hair turquoise. I was in a freaking zombie/Screecher apocalypse, and I decided to make my hair really stand out.
I jumped and ran behind a sign when I heard a sound like people talking. A group of people rounded the corner. There was a woman with white hair and green eyes, a man holding her hand with black hair and eyes, a man with blonde hair and blue eyes, and a girl my age with blonde hair and brown eyes. I watched, desperately hoping they wouldn't find me. I guess I have bad luck.
A pair of hands grabbed me from behind. "What do we have here?" I struggled as the woman pulled me towards the group.
The man with black hair and eyes turned to us and smiled. "Gracie May, is it?" I gulped. "Let's have a talk, shall we?"