Charlotte

The store always seemed to get farther and farther away each time we visited. We needed a buttload of crap; blankets, pillows, food, new clothes, medicine, gauze, bandages, and ammo.
Jake elbowed me in the ribs, smiling knowingly.
"So," he said. I rolled my eyes. "Why'd you keep the Grace girl?"
"Gracie," I corrected. "I kept her because her parents was dead. It was close to the problems I had four years ago."
"Charlotte," Jake said. I knew it was serious because my uncle never used my full name. "You need to let people in."
"I'm just scared I'll have to do it to the people I care about. I've already had to do it twice."
Jake stepped in front of me and gripped my arms. I stared at his brown eyes, refusing to back down.
"If you're taking care of Gracie, nothing bad will happen to her. You'll keep her safe, and you know it." His grim expression changed to a smile. "Even with your bad-assery, you have a heart bigger than America. I know."
"You're just trying to butter me up so you can get a hug." He made his puppy dog face that I could never ignore. "Oh, all right," I said and he gripped me in a hug so huge, he lifted me off the ground.
He put me down and looked at me. "Let's get some of that shit."
"Let's get some of that shit," I agreed.
***
"Are you kidding me?" The store was less full than what it was last time we visited. It seemed either people were in the area, or people stole some of our supplies and left.
"Let's get what we need and find those bitches who stole our crap." We walked through the store, searching for people. Nothing showed up.
"Nothing." I looked over my right shoulder at Jake. He looked a bit disappointed, but he was holding an overflowing backpack. Spilling out of it was medical supplies and a few weapons. While searching for people, I'd found blankets and pillows and clothes.
"We got what we need. Let's go." My voice sounded as disappointed as Jake looked. They weren't here.
We left with less than we wanted, but more than originally needed. Leaving was just as boring as before.
"How did you find her?" Jake asked. "Gracie, I mean."
"I was coming back from practicing."
"Practicing what?" I gave him a look and he grinned.
"I was coming back, and I heard a Screecher scream. Usually, they don't scream unless they see prey, as you know, and I checked it out. I saw her, saw her parent's bones, and decided to take care of her." I sighed and looked at the ground. "No one deserves to see their parents dead. Especially at our age."
Jake breathed out exasperatedly. "C'mon," he said. But I wasn't paying attention to him. I was staring at a group of people. Their packs were filled with our stuff from the store. And I was staring at the girl in the woman's arms.
It was Gracie.