• Chapter Three •

A few weeks had passed and the mission was about to go underway.

The trio stood at the Von Doom launch site, both Reed and Ben staring out through a pair of binoculars while Kayla leaned against the railing, with her back turned.

She stared at the ground, folding her arms as her thoughts wandered. It felt as if it was forever since she had last seen Johnny but even forever wouldn't be long enough.

Her mind ran to that one day while they were still attending high school.

8 years ago

8 years ago

Kayla closed her locker with a soft sigh and leaned against it before she reached into her pocket and retrieved her phone.

She went straight to the chat with Johnny and saw that he hadn't even bothered reading her texts.

Great. He didn't pick her up this morning and now he wasn't replying.

She pushed herself away from her locker and made her way down the hall. As she had done so, the students that she had passed by had given her sympathetic looks.

She frowned to herself. That was kind of strange.

As she made her way further, she now knew why as she came to a sudden stop.

Tears began to flood her hazel eyes as she stared at the sight before her: Johnny with his lips locked onto another girl's. His hands roamed all over her as they continued their makeout session against the locker.

"Johnny?" She questioned.

The blonde quickly pulled away and his blue gaze widened in shock as he saw Kayla.

"Kayla, I.." He trailed off slowly.

The brunette's eyes shifted to the girl only to find it was none other than Alena Michaels, the Queen Bee of the school but to Kayla, her tormentor.

Kayla shifted her gaze from Alena's smug look to Johnny who stared at her in shock.

"Are you serious right now?" She asked.

"Kayla--"

"This is why you couldn't bother answering my calls and texts, why you didn't bother picking me up today?" She asked.

Johnny remained silent.

"Has the last year and a half meant nothing to you?" She questioned.