Chapter 1: First Words

Hello everyone! Sorry again to those who were waiting for this one to be written, I haven't been in the best mental state. I'll make cover art for this story when I have a moment. Unlike the other's I've written this one doesn't have too much I need to warn you about before reading, it's fairly laid back. Warning, the first two chapters are going to be a little slow, the main story starts in the third chapter so the first two might seem a little off-putting. Anyways, for now the story will be updating ever other Wednesday, I might speed up the update schedule eventually if I get a handle on myself and college. Anyways, as always, take care of yourselves and thank you for reading! 

~~~

Everyone is born with a soulmate out there for them. They'd always be there for each other, romantically or not. Everyone wanted a soulmate, they could live happily apart but together it made them feel complete, both halves of a twin soul coming together to make each other whole. It was something that could only make sense after meeting each other for the first time, if they chose to meet at all. Once together it was hard to keep soulmates separated, even if they chose leave, so it was usually carefully debated by soulmates whether or not they wanted to meet in person. They could discuss this through writing on their skin, once the members of the relationship turned ten. That being the case it was tradition that on a child's tenth birthday they would write to their soulmate and see if they relied, if they did not then they'd have to wait until their partner's birthday.

Virgil had received no response on his birthday which was greatly disappointing to him, but he was more than willing to wait. His birthday had been in about the middle of the school year and it wasn't until the night before the very last day of his fifth grade school year when the younger soulmate would write. There was only one slight, tiny problem with this fact. Virgil was blind. When writing appeared on his skin it felt weird like a dull scratch and tingle. He had ignored it at first until it kept happening all over his arm. Virgil was honestly terrified, he thought there might be some sort of bug on him that he couldn't slap away or he'd gotten an allergic reaction. Either way, the unfamiliar sensation had him afraid and in tears as he stumbled out of his room, counting his steps, both as a way to stay calm and to navigate the house.

"Mom! Mom, where are you!" Virgil called out, trying to listen for her.

"Your father and I are in the kitchen darling!" His mother called back.

Virgil followed the familiar path towards the kitchen where he began to hear his parents quietly talking to each other. They stopped when he entered.

"Hey, Honey, shouldn't you be in bed? You've been crying again. Did you hurt yourself?" his mother asked, picking him up and putting him in a chair.

"My arm feels funny," Virgil replied, holding up said arm so his mother could look at it.

She carefully drew back the long sleeves of his nightshirt and gaped at the sight of all the writing spread up and down his arm.

"It's your soulmate!" She said excitedly.

Virgil's father perked up at this and wandered over to look at the colorful writing going up and down Virgil's arm.

"My soulmate? What does it say?" Virgil asked, now brimming with excitement.

His mother glanced down to try to find where the writing started only to find one shocking fact that made her stomach turn. It wasn't one person writing to her child. She thought it was weird that there were several different colors but assumed it was just a playful child being weird and over excited, but now that she looked at it the penmanship was different as well. Upon reading the first part of the conversation it became obvious that there was more than one person writing, there were three different people, the red being the one to have their birthday today, the blue and black greeting them and questioning why there was one extra person than expected, the blue one getting super excited and happy about the idea. The woman looked down at her son's excited expression, his blind eyes staring out vacantly into the middle distance as he waited for her to relay the information.