03.

>★<

>★<

Elisabeth woke up several times during the night. Well, she wasn't exactly sleeping either. She was sort of asleep, but partially aware of what was going on around her. It was like half of her brain was awake.

She was awoken by someone knocking on the door. She got up and quickly slipped on her shoes and opened the door to see Newt standing there with his arms crossed and wearing a glum early morning look.

"Come on, Greenie," He said. "I'm supposed to show ya somethin' before the wake-up."

Newt seemed trustworthy but Elisabeth was still a bit weary of following him.

"Yeah, alright." Elisabeth said ready to follow.

They crept down the hall toward the stairwell trying not to make the floor creak. Newt unbolted the front door of the Homestead and they stepped into the cold, grey dawn.

They snuck their way through the pack of sleeping bodies. Elisabeth had to watch her footing carefully as she tried not to step on someone.

Once thay had left the lawn area and stepped onto the stone courtyard floor, Newt broke into a run. Elisabeth wondered why they needed to run but she quickly followed.

As they ran she noticed that Newt had a limp.

She stopped when Newt did, right in front of the West Wall. Newt stepped forward and dug his hands into the thick ivy, spreading the vines apart to reveal a dust-frosted window. It was about two feet wide. She could barely see out of it as it was smudged with dirt.

A minute passed as Newt patiently stood there, staring into darkness. Elisabeth yawned leaning against the wall wondering why they were standing there, at this time, staring into nothing but darkness, when she could've been peacefully sleeping in the Homestead.

"Out there's the Maze," Newt said. "Every buggin' second of every buggin' day we spend in honor of the Maze, tryin' to solve somethin' we don't even know has a bloody solution. And I'm supposed to show ya why you should never find yourself out there. Show ya why the bloody Doors close shut every night."

Several minutes passed. Then it changed. The window no longer looked like it was painted black. An eerie light shone through the glass; it was casting a wavering spectrum of colours on their face and body as if they were hit by a ray of purest sunshine.

Elisabeth tried to make out what was on the other side of the now glimmering window. Then she heard the sound of metal scraping against stone like it was being dragged. Then came a loud clicking and whirring.

Newt stepped back, gesturing for her to take his place and look through the window.

Elisabeth stepped forwards, spreading a few vines, savage dust particles pricked at her fingers. She leaned forwards, her nose almost touching the grimy glass. Her eyebrows knitted togeather as she squinted through the window.