08.

╔═══.·:·.☽✧ ✦ ✧☾.·:·.═══╗
CHAPTER EIGHT
Visions
╚═══.·:·.☽✧ ✦ ✧☾.·:·.═══╝

═══╝

>☆<

Elisabeth ran her fingers along her hairline feeling the dried blood crusted beside the small reddish lump blossoming at the right side of her forehead. Small crescent like scratches stood out against her pale skin and her headache stopped all other traffic in her brain, as suddenly as had met with red lights.

Elisabeth lay awake for a long time, tossing and turning in her bed. The past few days were filled with many eventful things to think about that the slept felt very far away. She was sure that those few minutes in the graveyard would be haunting her nightmares for weeks. Eyes closed or not; she could swear she still kept hearing the swift thunk of the arrow finding a home in Ben's cheek.

She forced the dark thoughts and images away from her head, and after another hour of tossing and turning, the relief of sleep swept in and took her away like a silent storm during a summer night. With the sleep came a dream.

Something flashed behind her closed eyelids like bright light against still waters. Blurry faces and images swirled past like a low-quality movie playing in a very old TV. So familiar yet so foreign. Then things started to come into focus, and she could hear voices.

She stood in a dazzling bright meadow below a brilliant blue sky broken by scattered fluffy clouds. Sunlight shone down on her like a jar of spilling honey.

It was all strange. Elizabeth was right there, yet she was observing as an outsider. It was a dream, but everything felt so real, like a long-lost memory.

Memory.

She's six. Maybe seven?

"We come outside after months, and here you are sticking your nose behind a book!" She says.

A boy sits on the ground beside her with a book open in his lap. He seems to be the same age as her and has messy brown hair that ruffles in the soft breeze that rolled over them. He gazed up at her with eyes the same colour as her own.

"Just one more page," he says. "Things just got interesting and-"

She reached down and snatched up the book, holding it out of the boy's reach.

"Should I remove your bookmark?"

"Oi! Give it back!" He demands, reaching up to snatch it back.

"What's the magic word, little brother?"

"Now!"

"Wrong answer," stated she. "But I'll give it back to you." She lowered the book, and the moment the boy tried taking it back, she pulled it away and ran. "Just kidding! Better luck next time, thanks for playing!"