04.

>☆<

>☆<

Winston was a short but muscular bloke with an acne-covered face. He was Keeper of the Slicers. It seemed to Elisabeth the Keeper was obsessed with his job.

Winston showed Elisabeth around for the first hour, pointing out which pens held which animals, where the chicken and turkey coops were and what went where in the barn.

Several cows nibbled and chewed at a trough full of greenish hay. Another pen held sheeps. Pigs lounged in a muddy pit. The Slicers bustled around the Blood-house like they have spend their whole lives working on a farm.

She spent the second hour working alongside a a bloke named William. He had platinum blonde hair with sky blue eyes. And was about fifteen years old.

Suddenly an ear-splitting alarm wailed through the air. An abrupt contrast to the silence that had settled upon the Glade. Elisabeth screwed up her eyes and clapped her hands over her ears. The alarm made her eardrums rattle and pierced through her head like shattering glass. It was even worse than the walls moving. Her eyes darted through the Glade, trying to find the source of the blaring alarm.

"What's going on?" She asked William. He wasn't scared. He seemed to be confused.

"The Box," He said, confusion swimming in his blue eyes. "Someone is coming up the Box."

Elizabeth's eyebrows knitted together with confusion as she remembered Alby telling her on the Tour that the Box brought up a Newbie once every month.

The Glasses were running around the courtyard, panicking. Most of the boys were already surrounding the Box or still running toward it.

As Elisabeth approached the chipped metal doors, she caught sight of James and Leo and walked toward them. They were the only ones who were calm in the middle of the chaos. Well, Leo looked kind of bored.

"Another Newbie," James said cheerfully. "Aren't you excited?"

Elisabeth smiled at the younger boy's positivity. Her eyes flickered over to Leo, he was standing with his hands tucked into the pockets of his jeans and his face was decorated with a calm expression. He seemed to be at peace with the world.

Elisabeth couldn't help but wonder if Leo was calm on the inside as well, if he wasn't, he was very good at hiding it.

Well, he was mysterious.

"I wonder what kind of Klunk the sadistic Slintheads are gonna pull off this time." William said, bitterly , pulling Elisabeth out of her reverie. She could only assume that by saying sadistic Slintheads he was referring to the Creators.

"We've never had two Greenies in the same month before," Edward said. "Much less two days in a row."

"Should be any minute now." Leo said. Elisabeth could hear the squealing and rattling of the elevator which reminded her of her own painful thirty minutes in the Box. It seemed so long ago.