05.

>☆<

>☆<

The shadows from the walls had lengthened considerably, already creeping up the sides of the ivy-covered stone faces on the other side.

Elisabeth walked towards the Deadheads, her long, dark shadow rippled over the grass behind her like a cloak. A light breeze ruffled her hair as she moved toward the edge of the forest, darkness falling slightly around her.

The forest wasn't that big, maybe a couple of acres. The trees were tall and skeletal, their branches meeting high above like fingertips touching. A thick bed of leaves and fallen twigs crunched under her feet.

She let her thoughts drift back to her past, as they frequently did. She wondered if she had a family.

Do I have siblings?

Maybe you do.

Elisabeth flinched. She looked around and stilled her breathing, listening. But there was no one there, except her. She was alone.

But she was sure she had heard someone speak. It was a male voice.
Or maybe a very manly girl. She thought. Maybe I'm imagining things. She dismissed it.

But then Elisabeth felt a soft buzz at the back of her head. Then came a ticking noise like there was a clock inside her head.

Her eyes widened with fear. But the most concerning out of all was the presence. She could sense someone's presence like someone was there with her but no physically.

Then a rediculous thought occurred to her. She felt the urge to snicker, it seemed too rediculous to be true.

Hello?

She said stupidly, picturing the words in her mind, concentrating hard.

Hello!

She mentally threw the words in some way she could never have explained.

Hello.

This time she was sure she'd heard it. It was a male voice. This seemed impossible. But then again she lived in the middle of a Maze with deadly monster guards, she reminded herself.

Elisabeth focused hard on the next few words. She was getting a headache from the amount of mental effort it took.

Who are you? Do I know you?

The stranger only answered the latter.

You do. Or at least you used to.