Get Up and Try Again

He didn't know how long he was kneeling down, and he didn't bother processing it.

A cold wind blew past him, bringing him out of his stupor and made him give the place around him a curious look. He was in an old and dilapidated room, It was dark, but the moonlight from the windows managed to illuminate the room, and a part of the room's ceiling had caved in and allowed moonlight to spill through.

"Sylvie?" Avery remembered abruptly as he stood up, intent on finding her. Then, he felt a small weight on his left forearm. He turned his head to the appendage.

First, he noticed that his hands still had the lines running through them, although they were glowing cyan. Second, he had a forearm-mounted device on his left. He gave his hands a feel, then drew back in surprise as he felt his own skin. He noted that the lines were more tattoos than actual veins, which was burned into his mind when he first saw it.

Avery narrowed his eyes at the foreign device on his forearm. It reminded him of Halo Reach's TACPAD wrist attachment, but the screen was wider and it looked like it could be removed. His eyes widened at an all-too familiar emblem on the side. It was a white lowercase 'g' surrounded by a cyan background which was encased in a smooth-edged box.

To be specific, it was the Garry's Mod's emblem.

"What. In the fuck?" Avery said slowly, before bringing up the device to chest level to look at the screen.

It had GMod's menu screen, with the background changing and all that, but the options were limited. It only showed: Spawnmenu, Context Menu, Workshop, Console, Inventory, Settings and Help on the display, the first six were apparently locked if the padlock symbol beside them was any indication. He brought his right arm to try and tap at the 'Help' option.

But that seemed to be a shout of bad luck, because suddenly Avery heard a predatory growl from somewhere above him.

He withdrew his hand in fear, looking around for somewhere to hide, his eyes catching something shining under the moonlight. It was his longsword laying on the ground beside the rubble, he quickly made his way over to it in desperation. However, it seemed Avery had somehow gained too much momentum and that caused him to abruptly stop and consequently slip with a yelp.

He landed on his bottom, and right next to the sword. Avery grabbed the hilt and jumped to his feet, assuming an Ox stance with the weapon. He breathed heavily, sweating as he looked at the walls to his sides as if they would explode and reveal the source of the growl. He spied the hole in the ceiling, focusing on hearing any type of sounds that were around him.

Silence met his ears, so he closed his eyes and calmed himself down by breathing slowly. Now, he tried again, this time hearing the howling wind outside the room and the sound of fur rustling, and feet against cement. It was above him, and there were many.

The sudden sounds startled him to jump back in fear. Unfortunately, when he dropped his guard, the source of the growls dropped down from the hole.

His eyes widened at the sight before him. It looked like those one of those werewolves, except if they looked like they were made from fear itself. Its black fur made most of the its towering figure, yet it only seemed to show off more of the bony protrusions and the mask it wore. The mask resembled a more angular wolf's head, and its teeth is something Avery didn't want to see. The claws and the protrusions don't help either.

He assumed an Over the Roof stance, quivering as the beast growls. He turned his head to the right to look behind him and saw an exit out of the room. The wolf started to stalk towards him, causing Avery took a step back for every step forward it took. He nervously looked past the giant wolf's shoulder and saw two more of its kind jump down from the hole, except they looked smaller and less armored.