chapter 4

4

A week since I’d been pulled aside in physics by Mr Pierce and asked why I hadn’t returned to see him at the end of the day.

His eyes were soft blue, innocent and gentle and I realized just how young he looked again.

‘You didn’t come and see me at the end of the day.’ he said. He looked kind of hurt. I fought the urge to laugh.

‘Ehm yeah. Sorry, I forgot.’ I said.

‘oh… okay well anyway, I was going to ask if you and Eva would maybe help out at the catch up classes on Tuesdays? Its just I have to run errands round the school etcetra and keep having to leave the classroom so I’d appreciate if you could come along and help.’

I looked at my hand. didn’t really want to say yes but couldn’t think of a good excuse and I felt sorry for him, so, ‘Yeah okay. I’ll do my best to get Eva to come as well.’

He smiled. Patted me on the arm. ‘Good, well I’ll see you at the end of today.’

I smiled back, turned, went back to my seat.

And so we went to Catch Up in the afternoon. Was mostly dyslexic people and people who’s parents push them to study in every waking moment. Mr Pierce nodded when we came in but then went back to leaning over a dyslexic 14 year old girl who was concentrating more on his body than her work.

Eva said, ‘I’m only here so I can clock his arse one more time.’

I looked at her, disgusted. Sometimes she can be such a dickhead.

We went to sit at a free table and wait for him to come over and tell us what to do.

Eva left early to go meet her booty call because she’s a slut. Only jokes. But she did go to meet him.

Anyway it was just me left sharpening some pencils and collecting bits of scribbled on paper.

Mr Pierce locked one of his drawers and then waited for me to collect my bag.

He smiled at my again, looked a little embarrassed. I smiled inwardly and took my time, knowing it was driving him crazy.

I smiled back, swung bag on shoulder and said, ‘Coming?’

He nodded, followed me out the door.

We walked down the corridor.

‘So, nervous for your exam results?’ He said in an attempt at conversation.

I turned, looked at him what I hoped was a cheeky smile, ‘Hmm not really.’

He laughed. Seemed suddenly more comfortable. Not as formal. As if he wasn’t my teacher.

‘Cocky. Think your going to get all A’s then?’

‘Maybe not all A’s but certainly some.’

He laughed again. I laughed too, shook my head.

‘I failed all of mine. Spent my entire last year paying for that.’

I smiled.

‘I’ve always been awful at exams. On track to get an A and then get a D. Teachers absolutely hated me.’

‘Gee, your making me feel fab.’ I said sarcastically.

He smiled apologetically, looked me in the eyes.

We clunked down the metal stairs and into foyer. Bitchy receptionist stared at us as we went out of the doors, down stone steps.

When we got to the bottom, I could tell he was about to say an awkward goodbye but then he went, ‘Eh… I could give you a lift home if you would like?’