𝐈 • the café

ERYN WHITMORE WAS ON the last shift of the day at a little cafe called mugshotsz. it was a small place, not very busy and tucked away in the corner of the street. but it was good enough for eryn. she had grown up going there, usually after school, and it ended up with her wanting to work there. the place meant so much to her, and had done a lot for her, so she wanted to pay it back in a way.

she was small and slight, with green eyes and blonde hair. sometimes she'd semi-permanently dye it crazy colors, like pink or teal, but it had washed out around a month ago, and she hadn't found the time to redye it. she usually wore baggy sweaters and skinny jeans, pairing them with either vans or combat boots.

for now she was wearing some leggings, a linkin park shirt and her work apron. her hair was pulled into a ponytail, and she was making a latte for one of the few customers in the cafe. the little bell on the door rang, letting her know someone had entered. she took a glance at the clock. 11:11. make a wish, she thought to herself. the guy that had just walked in must have noticed the time too, as a soft smile played on his face. eryn took a look at him. he was incredibly good-looking. brown hair, mismatched eyes, and a cute little button nose. his taste in clothes was immaculate.

he wore a white, paint splattered shirt, a pair of black skinny jeans, and some converse. his nails were painted a pretty nude colour, but it had a pink chrome-ish hue to it. a gold watch adorned his wrist, and he wore a silver chain and a pearl necklace around his neck. a black backpack was slung over his right shoulder, his ring-clad fingers gripping the strap loosely. a smile graced his face as he walked up to the counter.

"hey there, give me two seconds and i'll take your order." eryn greeted him cheerily.

he nodded and stood by the end of the counter as she finished up making the drink. "geoff." she called. the man got up from his seat. he was cute, blue eyes, long brown hair, sporting a denim jacket. but of course, no one could compare to the man who'd just walked in.

he got to the counter, a grin on his face. "thanks, miss." he said as she handed him his latte.

she flashed him a smile before turning towards the mystery man.

"hello, and welcome to mugshotsz. i'm eryn, and i'll be your waitress today. what can i get you?"

his eyes flew up to the menu, carefully reading through it. "um, could i get a mocha and... your new york cheescake please?"

a soft smile played on eryn's face. "of course. um, could i get your name?"

"awsten." he told her.

"alright, awsten, feel free to take a seat, and i'll let you know when it's ready."

he gave her a grin, before walking away from the counter. he slipped behind one of the empty table, setting his bag on the floor and pulling his phone out from his pocket. a notification was displayed on his screen. it was his photographer friend jawn rocha.

🍅: where did you slip off to?

awsten quickly typed out a reply.

at the little coffee shop, thought you'd want some time alone with becki 😏

he closed his messages and hopped onto twitter, scrolling through his timeline. nothing really interesting was happening. he soon got bored, switching over to instagram, scrolling through his feed.

it was all so uninteresting to him. he tapped his foot on the floor, the cogs in his brain practically whirring as an idea popped into his head.

awsten was a songwriter for musicians. his foot-tapping had given him a new beat, leading to a new song idea.

he pulled out his notebook from his backpack, along with a pen, and began scribbling down ideas, until he had a few lines of song.

UNNAMED

my favourite place to go is up into your room
and my heavy set of thoughts evaporate all around you.
evil comes in twos and we like what we do
you've got me feeling like fucking love song.

i must have seen you at 11:11
unlucky number 7.
trying to hide with some words
but you just find me clever.
i found a million pieces
you'd be worth the pain to put them together.

he quickly skimmed over what he had, happy with it so far. he picked up his phone and connected his airpods to it. he quickly popped them in his ears and opened up one of his music apps. this was a beat-maker. he began messing around with some of the buttons, until he settled on something he liked. he slowly began adding and layering different sounds, until he had a decent backing track for his lyrics.

"i must have seen you at 11:11,
unlucky number seven.
trying to hide with some words,
but you just find me clever." he sang along quietly as he played it back. a smile danced on his face, just as his name was called.

he got up and stuck his phone in his pocket, making his way to the counter. eryn was stood patiently waiting with his cup of mocha and a neat slice of cheesecake on a plate.

"cheers, jellybean." he said, not realising what he had called her. he then flashed her a grin, and returned to his seat, food and drink in hand. his thoughts may have been occupied, but he didn't want to come across as rude.

eryn's cheeks were coated in a light blush after he called her that. jellybean. she liked it. she glanced over to him. he sat back in his seat, his phone laying flat on the table as he tapped his foot in time with what his was listening to. he was gorgeous, and she couldn't seem to keep her eyes off him.

meanwhile, awsten was devouring the cheesecake. he wasn't usually a fan of the desert, and he wasn't sure why he had chosen it, but it for some reason he was enjoying it immensely.

he took a glance up to the girl that had served him. he got his idea from her. he had walked in right at 11:11. he saw her and thought she was beautiful. ethereal. hence the first line of what he wanted the chorus to be, "i must have seen you at 11:11". the next line came from his hatred of the number seven. it was basic, and odd. it may have been lucky for some, but awsten detested it, which is why he labelled it unlucky.

he didn't know if he was going to keep those specific lyrics, and maybe the band he was working would want him to change bits and pieces, but at that moment he was content with it. he picked up his mug of mocha, taking a sip. he noticed there was a bit of paper on the saucer, where the mug was before.

you're very pretty. sorry if that comes across as weird

- eryn x

awsten smiled, and felt his cheeks go warm. he would never think to call himself "pretty", but he was very flattered that she thought that of him. he stole a glance at her, seeing that she was looking in his general direction. he caught her eye and sent her a warm grin, to which she blushed and smiled back. he pocketed the note, and continued eating, his thoughts clouded with the blonde girl.