Chapter 1

As I was moving boxes off the truck, my daughter ran into our new home. She twirled in the empty family room and giggled in the bedrooms.

 “Eimko, come help.” I called, impatiently.

 She danced outside, her braids bouncing on her shoulders, “I'm coming, Mommy.” 

She lifted a small box and proudly carried it inside, “See, I help. We are strong girls.” 

I chuckled as I set my heavy box beside hers. 

“Yes, we are, little one.”

 I straightened and grabbed my back. It would be yelling at me later for carrying boxes and the baby inside my womb. Emiko skipped outside and grabbed a lamp.

 “Careful!” I rushed out and steadied her grip on the pole. 

“I've got it, Mommy.” she assured me.

 I let go, “Okay, big helper.” 

I tucked a strand of purple hair behind my ear and sighed. All these boxes and they weren't going to move themselves. I picked up a large box and walked into the front lawn.

 Two boys approached and began saying, “Look, someone finally bought the old geezer's house.”

 The other laughed, “They'll move just as quick as the ones before.”

 “Yeah,” the other agreed,”they'll find out quickly that it's haunted.” 

They were now at the white fence surrounding the front yard.

 “Ha. Do you think she'll get all the boxes moved?” The first boy high fived the other, “Nope, not a chance.”

 Suddenly I heard a voice and I dropped my box, “Boys, you better move on. Leave the lady alone. Don't you have school..”

The man looked at his arm “...in like 30 minutes?”

 “Ah, come on, old man...” they protested. 

The man made a hand gesture and the boys scrambled trying to get away as fast as possible. That motion...it seemed familiar. The man was dressed in a long coat with a high collar and low hat. He turned and looked at me but I could not see his face. My skin began to tingle like it had a long time ago. I hadn't felt that since before my wedding. Who was he? He just flicked his hat and disappeared. I stepped back in shock while tripping over my box and landing on the stone path.

 Emiko ran out of the house, laughing until she saw me, “Mommy, are you okay?” 

She hurried to my side, “Mommy?”

 I gave my head a shake and brushed my hair back, “I..I'm fine, Emiko. I just thought I saw something.” 

I rolled over and stood up, “But it's okay.” 

Emiko seemed satisfied and ran back to the truck. 

Hours later, Emiko and I looked at the stack of boxes in the family room. “Thanks, Emiko for helping. You missed your nap so you should go to bed early.” I sighed

. She giggled, “But Mommy...” And before I could stop her she was climbing to the top of the pile.

 “Emi...please come down from there. You're going to hurt yourself. Or break something.” I reasoned.

 But my daughter climbed to the top, “I claim this land for Sumiko Hamasaki.” she announced. I laughed nervously, “That's very nice, Emi but please come down.” If I hadn't been 7 months pregnant.... Emiko eventually came down with boxes slipping everywhere. I sighed in deep relief when her feet touched the floor, “Now, Emiko, it's time for bed.” She pouted, “But I don't want to.” “You get that face when you are overtired, little one.” I reminded. She stamped her foot, “I want to stay up with you.”

 I smirked, “Emi, I'm going to bed as soon as you do. I'm just as tired and I need to rest for your brother.” 

She crossed her arms, “Fine.” 

She marched into her new room and humfed into bed.

 I let out a sigh and patted my tummy, “Okay, little boy, lets get some rest too.” 

I lowered my body onto the mattress and just as predicted all my bones and muscles shot pain everywhere. Laying down after working hard is literally the hardest part of the day. My thoughts turned to the man that was on the sidewalk. Was he someone she knew? Did Azien send someone to find me and Emi? No, no I will not think like that before sleep. Azien had hurt me enough and he didn't know where we were. Right? Gradually, I fell asleep but no nightmares.