Chapter 4

Emiko began describing her chats with the kitty next door. My heart soaked in her words like water to dry ground.

 “Kitty told me that he thought you were cute. That you looked really familiar to him.”

 I frowned, “Familiar? How?”

 She shrugged, “I don't know. Maybe because both of you are cats.”

 I squeezed her hand, “Tell me more.”

 The little girl hesitated, “He..he said I could tell him anything and so I...I told him I was scared.”

 “What are you scared of, Emi?” my heart broke. 

Life had been so hard for my three year old and I actually wasn't surprised she confided in someone.

 Her voice trembled, “I told him that I was scared my dad would show up and try to force us back.”

 “Emi.” I cried and pulled her to my chest, “We are never going back.” 

“I know, Mommy.” she pushed me back, “Because Kitty said he would protect us.” 

I smiled and patted her shoulder, “It's nice to have a guardian angel isn't it?” 

She nodded, “I'm thirsty, Mommy.” 

“Okay, Emi. Go get some juice and we'll turn in early. I want to meet this kitty tomorrow.”

 I relaxed against the back of the chair as she trotted off to the kitchen. The single bulb flickered above me. 'Bang! Bang!' came a loud knock on the door. My heart jumped to my chest. Who could be at my door this late at night? Everything told me to not answer it but I argued that it was probably just some lost couple or something. The doorknob had only been turned slightly when it went flying open and I was shoved across the room by heavy hands. 

“Emi! Run!” I screamed.

 “Well, well...you thought you could get away from me, didn't you?” leered a very familiar voice.

 “Aizen...please...” I started weakly.

Emiko P.O.V.

Mommy's scream petrified my legs. I couldn't move but I forced myself to peek around the corner. My whole body shook as I saw my dad hovering over my Mommy, fists pummeling her head. I wanted to run in and protect her. She was my Mommy. She wasn't supposed to be treated this way. Daddy was a horrible man. Then I remembered. As quietly as I could I forced myself away from Mommy and ran to the backyard. 

“Kitty! Kitty!” I yelled as I ducked under the bushes to where my friend and I met. 

“Kitty!” I called again desperately.

 Tears began running down my cheeks, “Kitty.”

 I whispered. 

Suddenly arms encircled my waist, “Emiko, what's wrong?”

 I looked up into Kitty's eyes, “Mommy...” I wept.

 He seemed to understand instantly and swung me over his shoulders, “Hang on to me, little one. Don't let go.”

 With panther-like swiftness he ran into our house while I hung onto him like a little cub. He stormed into the foyer where daddy was still beating my Mommy. I hung on as Kitty crashed into Aizen and stood over him, heckles growling. Mommy was crying but she managed to stand and took me from Kitty's back. She pushed us into her bedroom and we sat on the floor in the far corner, listening to the two men tear into each other. Then it was silent. I looked up at Mommy and began to move away but she pulled me back, “Don't move, Emi.” She commanded.