Chapter 7

"Emiko, come to the family room!" I called. 

"Coming." she responded from her room.

 She came skipping out holding her dragon.

 "Yes, mommy?"

 Grimmjow patted a stool, "Have a seat, little kitty."

  She sat down and looked expectantly at us.

 "Emiko, there is something your father and I need to tell you." I began. 

"You see, normally on a child's third birthday, Panthers have a ceremony to receive their father's mark as a sign you are no longer an infant but becoming a big girl." Grimmjow explained.

 "It will also help protect you if you ever get in trouble." I filled in.

 Her eyes began to shine and she nodded, "I would like that." 

Grimmjow and I glanced at each other and grinned. 

She excitedly asked, "How do you do it?" 

He patted his knee and she moved to sit in her father's lap, "We have to prepare and if we hurry we can do it tomorrow. Is that okay?"

 She nodded.

 "Also someone whom you've never met will be there." I announced. 

"Who?" she asked eagerly.

 "You'll have to wait and see." 

I stood, "Now, come on, we need to go to a special store."

 She bounced off Grimmjows' knee and went to put her shoes on. 

We walked into the kimono store and the lady greeted us 

"Hello, can I help you find something?" 

“Yes, we're looking for a beautiful kimono for tomorrow's ceremony.”

“Okay follow me and we can look at these kimonos. We have a black, grey, and white kimono. A pink, white, and blue kimono. The last one is a blue and black kimono.”

I looked at Grimmjow and Emiko. 

The look in her eyes was priceless, “I like the blue and black and also the black, grey and white one.”

 The shop lady gestured to another section in the store, “There are more colors if you want to look at?”

 “Okay, what other colors do you have?” my eyes following where she pointed.

“We have this pretty light blue kimono which I believe would be so beautiful on your little girl? We also have a beautiful purple and white kimono.” the lady pulled out the two dresses. Emiko began jumping up and down, 

"I love them both. Mommy, can we get both?" She gazed at me hopefully. 

I chuckled, "Ask your father."

 Grimmjow tussled her hair, “We'll take the blue and white and also the purple and white kimono."

 Emiko squealed in delight, "Thank you, daddy." 

She held out her arms and Grimmjow smiled. She jumped up while he grappled underneath her arms. She threw her arms about his neck and gave him a kiss on his cheek. I saw Grimmjow pause but Emiko didn't notice. She wiggled out of his arms and over to the lady shopkeeper for a piece of thousand year candy. I touched his arm and he slowly looked at me.

 "I've missed so much." his voice hitched. 

"It's okay, love." I rubbed his forearm.

 "I'm so proud of who she's become though." he smiled. 

He looked over into my eyes, "And I'm proud of you."

 He wrapped an arm around my shoulders and gave me a light kiss on the forehead. We went to the counter and the lady had packaged up the two dresses. Grimmjow handed her the money and we left the store. Emiko skipped ahead of us. Grimmjow fell in step beside me, his hand brushing mine. Prickles traveled up my arm into my back. Slowly his hand bravely slipped into mine. I swallowed roughly, my eyes threatening to spill tears. It seemed as soon as his fingers closed around mine I felt sparks starting to fly. I felt a tear fall down my face as he pulled me closer as we watched our daughter walk in front of us. We made it home after a 20 minute walk.