Chapter 2

The sun shone through my bedroom window. Ugh, didn't I close the curtains before I went to bed? I tucked that lock of hair that constantly fell in my face. I stood up but my boy reminded me I was pregnant and the room started to spin. I plopped back down on the mattress like a heavy weight.

 “Little baby, you've got to behave more. All I wanted was to go make breakfast.”

 He kicked my ribs, “Hey, no talking back, boy.”

 I chided, smiling. Attempting once more to stand and this time successful, I made my way to the kitchen. I peeked in at Emiko and smiled. She had been working so hard, not only helping but also being a 3 year old pest. I still appreciated her work and childish advice. I tiptoed to the fridge. Our food was getting low. I needed to find a job soon. I rolled day old rice into balls and stuffed them with gurukin that would have been thrown away. But I begged the agiya fisherman to give them to me for just a few sen coins. 

Emiko sneaked into the kitchen and grabbed my leg, “Boo!” 

Pretending to be surprised, “Ahhh...Emiko, don't scare me like that.”

 She giggled.

 “Get your chopsticks. Breakfast is almost done.” I directed. 

She grabbed her chopsticks and plate from the drain rack and wiggled in between the table and a chair.

 I served her the rice balls, “Ah, Mommy again??” she complained. 

“It's okay, Emiko. I'll get a job today and we'll have miso soup for breakfast every day after that.” I soothed. She finally smiled. Miso soup was her favorite breakfast meal. Aizen would rarely buy it or anything for that matter.

 “Mommy?” Emiko broke through my thoughts.

 “Yes, little girl?” 

“Can I play in the backyard while you get ready?” she asked, sweetly. 

I chuckled, “Of course you can. But be careful to not get dirty. We will be leaving soon.” 

She stuffed the rice ball into her mouth, “Thunks, Mumth” 

“Hey, don't talk with your mouth full.” I called after her.

 “Thorry.” she said as she slid the bamboo door shut. 

 I could hear her skipping around the garden. Probably chasing butterflies that flitted through the yard. I looked down at my food. I'll just eat two. Just in case I don't get a job. Emiko has to eat. The baby kicked, “Yes, you need food too. Okay, one more.” 

After finishing breakfast clean up, I pulled on a fresh kimono. The worn silk was a little tight around my stomach but it was my best dress.

 I slipped on my shoes, “Emiko, it's time to go!” 

I slung a bag of important things over my shoulder as my daughter came bouncing in.

 “Mother, I met someone.” she announced.

 “Oh?” I queried. 

“Yeah, a nice man in the garden.” she explained.

 I frowned. Emiko had never had an imaginary friend before. 

“Who was he?” I played along.

 “He is really tall and he has green around his eyes just like you.” 

Emiko dashed through the open door. My frown deepened. Of course, her friend would be a panther too. And he definitely had to be imaginary because I was the last panther alive. I gave my head a shake. As long as this 'friend' didn't get extreme, Emiko deserved a friend no matter if it was imaginary. She tucked her hand in mine as we walked down the street.