Chapter 4

*1 month later.
Ezra POV

"That's what, a three-story fall to the deck?" Pope looks up at me and John B on the roof, squinting his eyes because of the sun. "I give both of you guys about a one-in-three chance of survival."

"Hmmm, should I do it?" John B licks his finger, trying to find the wind direction.

"Yeah, jump. I'll shoot you on the way down." Pope picks up a nail gun that was laying on the deck banister, pointing it up at John B.

"You should definitely do it John B, I'd even jump with you." I admit, judging the distance from where I am on the roof to the deck below.

"You'll shoot me?" John B asks, acting like he's hurt by Pope's words. "I appreciate the offer Stella, but I'm sure your brother would kill me if I let you jump off."

"Yeah, you're probably ri-" I slip on the roof but right before I fa over the edge, John B grabs me and pulls me back up.

"Let's not fall and break a bone, alright princess?" John B tells me in a hushed tone as he lets me go, and I blush a deep pink.

"They're gonna have Japanese toilets with towel warmers." Kiara says, shaking her head as she walks out onto the back deck with the rest of us.

"Of course. Why wouldn't they?" Jj mumbles from some scaffolding, taking a sip of his beer. "I can't have cold towels."

"This used to be a turtle habitat, but who cares about the turtles, I guess?" Kie says, shaking her head, and I nod because I get where Kiara's coming from.

"I care about the turtles Kie." I mumble, sitting down on the roof, and quickly spacing out.

Even though I'm spaced out, I can still hear everyone else talking.

"Can you like, not kill yourself?" Kie asks in a sarcastic tone, looking up at John B while shielding her eyes with her hand.

"Don't spill that beer, because we aren't giving you another one." Jj tells John B, and it sounds like Jj opens a new can for himself.

"Whoa! Oh, shit." John B pouts right after he drops his beer, causing it to splatter across the deck.

"Of course you did, smooth."

"A-plus."

"Dumbass." Kie says, and I give her a wink.

"Hey! Hey, uh, security's here. Let's wrap it up." Luke alerts the rest of us, lightly hitting the banister.

"Boys are early today." John B says as he climbs down from the roof onto the scaffolding. "Ezra, come on princess, it's time to go."

"Humpty Dumpty, let's roll."

"Yeah yeah Alrlght boys and fellow girl, we better get going." Kie says, and I grin.

We all run through the house, making our way downstairs and outside to the side yard.

I get a quick running start, vaulting myself over the top of the wooden fence without touching the fence at all.

"How do you do that?" Michael asks me as him and I climb into the back of John B's van, and I grin.

"Call it pure talent." I say, smirking. "I have also been in gymnastics since I was super young."

"Check out Gary here, gunnin' for a raise. Come on, Gary!" Jj yells, leaning out of the van a bit. "Wait, slow down."

"Hey! You little pricks, hey!"

"Awe come on J, you're gonna give him a heart attack." I say, sticking out my bottom lip.

"You're so close, you can do it. There you go!" Jj shouts, tossing Gary a beer can. "They don't pay you enough, bro."

"Jj, stop. Stop." I say, grabbing his shoulder lightly.

"Oh, come on. That sort of initiative is just begging to be punished." Jj looks over at me with his charismatic grin, and I roll my eyes. "What was that look for?"

I ignore Jj's question, just turning to the window.