Chapter 1 - Running

Running, running, running. That's all I am. That's all I do. I run from the people who want to contain me, but at least I am free at last.

The world has changed in the ten years that I was imprisoned. I entered the hospital with memories of vibrant green grass, clear blue skies, children radiating happiness, and plentiful food.

This new world is a barren wasteland, void of color and

happiness. Dark, clouded skies have replaced the clear blue ones.

Where are all the people?

I wonder if this was an abrupt change after some solemn natural disaster or a gradual change that no one had noticed until it was at its worst point.

I was jolted from these thoughts as I heard the obnoxious siren of my pursuers, giving away their position. They were close. Too close. Cursing myself for getting lost in thoughts and not being aware of my surroundings, I dove behind a pile of rusted scraps. I held my breath, clutching the stitch in my side.

I hear even breathing behind me as a young man struts right past my hiding place, "I know you're here, Eve, you can't hide anymore."

He turns back around and I realize something that may just have changed my life; the man who was leading the chase was my best friend from childhood. My heart filled with dread.

It was Mason.

A/N:  You know the drill: if you like my story, like, comment, vote, fan:)