Chapter I

"That is why you should use this formula to solve the question," the maths teacher completed her sentence right when the school bell rang indicating the end of a lesson. At this school, lessons time length varies from 30 minutes to one hour.
"Hey, Elsa! Ready for lunch?" my best friend Sophia asked as she linked our arms together, as we made our way to the common cafeteria. "Sophia! Elsa! Wait," a voice called out to us, stopping us midway. We turned around to see the administrator officer making haste steps towards us. We waited for her, and when she reached close to us, "Principal asked me to bring you both to his office right away. Sophia and I exchanged looks, silently asking the other if they did something wrong. We both shrugged.
"Is something wrong, Miss?" Sophia asked as we three made our way to the main office. "Not sure, principal just told me to bring you both to her office right away. She did not tell me anything, but she was smiling" the officer smiled. Well, there goes our lunchtime.  I get this feeling, the matter is going to take a long time.
We sat outside the office waiting for the principal. "Do you hear about the new medical research County M is doing?" Sophia started a deep discussion while we waited for the principal to come out.  After 30 minutes, the principal walked out of her office. She walked over to us with a big wide smile on her face. She told us to go into her office. We went in first with her following behind us.  She closed the door behind her.
"Hello girls, the reason why I called you both in is that I was just speaking to Fakern Special School. They informed me that you both are selected to apply for their school. They sent in a letter to us as well" She spoke happily. Sophia and I jumped out of our seats in happiness and shock. We started to ask her lots of questions.
"Calm down girls. Here is the letter, seat here and read the letter. I will excuse you both for the rest of the day. You have to apply by next Friday." She informed us. We both went into a serious mood and started to read our letters word by word slowly and thoroughly. We did not want to miss out on a single word. Plus I do have a photographic memory. Apart from Sophia and her brother, no one else is aware of this, not even my parents.

"We have to inform our parents about this ma'am," We shook hands with our principal.
"Thank you both for making our school proud!" she beamed happily. I mean this is the first time students from our school getting invited to apply for such a huge school.
Fakern Special School is for highly gifted students, aged 10 years old and above. They taught advanced lessons, and they help us to settle into proper jobs despite our age group. Currently, Sophia and I are 16 years old. We are more advanced than students our age.  And you cannot apply for the school without them inviting you. They will do their background search on you before making their decision.
"What are you thinking about?" Sophia asked as we waited for her brother Ben to pick us up.
"What if my parents do not allow me to apply for the school? This school run differently, there is no school holiday.  We only have National holidays off. Our school ends around 7 pm," I explained my worry to her.  She started to think about a way to let my parents let me join the FSS.

We were jolted out of our thoughts when a car honked. It was Ben, we got into the car with a gloomly expression. Ben looked at us with worry.
"Why are both my princess looking down? Did something happen at school?" he asked as he drive off from school.
"We both received the invitation to apply for FSS" Sophia started.
"That is great news, but you guys should be happy about it not sad," he looked confused.
"What if my parents do not let me apply for it? You that this school is different from any normal school" I sighed.
"Alright, El, tonight you talk to your parents about this. See what they say, if they are against the idea, I will talk to them about it." Ben comforted me. I looked at him happily. This way I am happy to have a brother like him, we may not be related by blood. But he is the best brother anyone can ask for. Sophia is blessed to have him.
"Now go on, I will see you tomorrow for our ice cream outing. Be ready by noon" he shooed me after kissing my forehead.
"Bye Ben" I waved and walked off.
Walking into the house, I saw that my brothers had invited their friends for a small gathering in the backyard. Shaking my head, I went to my room. Closing the door, I was relieved of the noises coming from the backyard. Yes, I managed to renovate my room into a soundproof room, allowing myself to cancel out sounds from outside of the room.
Living in a big family, it tends to get loud at times, sometimes it gets too much. This room provides me with an escape from the noise, unnecessary troubles and hearing unwanted conversations.
Thinking about that, maybe it is a good thing to apply for FSS. It will allow being out of the house for more than 10 hours. The school is two hours away, it starts from 9 am to 8 pm. Lunch and dinner provided.  I will leave the house before anyone is awake and come home after everyone is asleep. I mean it is not like any of my brothers will notice. I am the silent and forgotten child.
I have completed eight assignments in four hours, whole deep in thoughts about the school. It is just 6 PM, I checked the camera in the dining room, and saw that my brothers were having dinner with their friends. I guess they forgot about me again. I shrugged and took out my supply of food. Bread and jam, are my dinner most of the time. I use different flavoured Jams.
I started to concentrate on my new theory paper on medical research that I am interested in. I finished my dinner while writing the theory. 
After a long time, my alarm rang alerting me that my parents will be reaching home soon. A while later, I heard their car pulling into the garage. I was sitting in the hammock I designed near the window and the window was opened. That was how I could hear all these sounds.
I gave them half an hour to settle and relax. After half an hour, I took the letter and made my way to the dining room, where I am sure they are having their late supper.
"Hey guys, I need to talk to you both" I started. After exchanging a look, Dad nodded and gestured for me to take a seat.
I just walked closer to the table and stood there. Not disrespecting him, but I do not feel comfortable to seat at the same table with them.
"I received an invitation to apply for Fakern Special School. And  I would like to apply for it as well," I tell him.
"We have to think about it. The school is too far and the timing is different from normal school" Dad answered uninterestedly.
I just nod my head and went back to my room. Passed by Danny who walked out of his room. I saw him frowning while looking at me.
I sent a message to Ben informing him about how the conversation with my parents went. He told me, he will talk to them tomorrow morning and that I should sleep early.
I could not sleep. This causes me too much pressure. I want to apply to this school. It will open various doors for my future.
I plugged my headphones into my phone and started to play some music to calm myself down.
I sighed and laid back on my bed. Staring at the white ceiling and letting my thoughts run wild. I will just face whatever happens tomorrow with a fresh mindset.