Real life

Josie hums to the soft sound of the ukulele on her hands

Josie hums to the soft sound of the ukulele on her hands. The absent sound of the early summer rain outside and the intoxicating smell of acrylic paint inside Hope's room had managed to push some melodies inside her head. The perfect afternoon to get over the hangover from last night's party. The girls had both finished exam season, there was only one more week of class before summer break allowed them to relax. They hadn't talked about their plans.

Hope knew she had to go back to New Orleans -not that she didn't want to, she missed it desperately- and Josie had hoped to spend some weeks in France with her mother. Still, the thought of not being with each other for two months hurt them both. Josie sighs dramatically, earning an arched bow from the brunette in front of her whose focus was still on the now-not-so blank canvas.

"Yes, love?"

"I'm bored."

"It's raining, I have a hangover and it's Sunday. There's not much you can do on Sundays." Hope says, dipping the brush into a darker shade of blue. "That sounded good, you should keep it."

"It's useless to have half a melody when I don't have any lyrics." Josie pouts, throwing the ukulele to the other side of Hope's bed. "Plus it's a melody for guitar, maybe some piano too. It would sound better for piano and I don't know how to play the piano."

"Elijah can teach you. He tried to teach me once when I was a kid. Dad called it "artistic treason". He was dramatic about it, but I did suck at playing music."

"Okay one, I love that your family is so dramatic about everything." Josie hears Hope's laugh behind the canvas, making her smile too. "And two, your uncle wants to teach me music?"

"I mean... yeah. It's an offer. If you wanted to, maybe, spend some time at my house in New Orleans during the summer." Hope says, a sudden shy tone taking over her voice. She had talked about it with her parents -and with Elijah obliviously- and they were okay with it. Freya and Keelin were more than okay with the promise of another helping hand babysitting little Nik. "You don't have to say yes. I was just asking."

"No, no. I mean yes. Of course, I want to. I was just... internally freaking out?"

"You're cute." Hope laughs, avoiding Josie's narrowed eyes and an adorable pout. "Is that a yes then?"

"Yeah. I mean I have to talk with dad and mom but sure." Josie says. "Lizzie will be pissed, and so jealous. I love it."

"She can come if she wants. I'm sure Rebekah would love some help at the workshop." Hope adds, not entirely bothered by the idea of Lizzie joining their vacation.

"The point is going and making her jealous of it. It's not fun if she comes."

"I thought the point was spending time with me and learning the piano."

"I mean sure, that too, obviously. But it's funny."

"It's petty." Hope replies, moving the canvas on top of the table and sitting next to her girlfriend.