Chapter 16

Victor slipped on his shoes and slipped outside through his bedroom window when he heard the front door close. It has been a few days since they all sat together at the lab now. Currently it was a few minutes after midnight. With his Rotomphone in front of him he started to follow his twin sister as stealthy as possible. He was filming it so he had evidence of what he was going to see tonight. He was hiding behind a tree now, Gloria was standing at the entrance of the Slumbering Wealds now, looking around, clearly searching for someone. The red haired boy appeared from behind a tree. Victor clenched his fists. I knew it! He thought to himself. He had to show this evidence to Sonia as soon as possible. Yesterday Victor stayed a little bit longer to discuss things a bit more with the new professor and the former champion. Sonia had a rough time believing him that Cane couldn't be trusted since he helped her out with her research so much. Leon agreed that Gloria didn't feel like her usual self the past two days, so that felt like a relief for him.

''Are you ready for tonight? Make sure you get enough sleep champ... I don't want you to overwork yourself...'' The soft voice of Cane asked Gloria in a hushed tone.

Gloria smiled at him with a tilted head. ''Let's go. I want to explore a bit more tonight before we train.''

With a nod the young boy grabbed her hand and took her into the forest with him. When they were barely out of sight Victor started to follow him with his rotomphone floating in front of him. He was close enough to hear them talk but too far away to be seen especially in this thick fog.

''Sssh!'' Cane suddenly whispered.

The duo stood still, both looking around. Victor could see a faint red light coming closer and closer at them. He wanted to call out his twin sisters name to warn her, but she'd never trust him again if she found out he was following her behind her back. He could see the pink veins starting to glow on Gloria's body once again.

''Look out!'' Cane nearly shouted as he grabbed Gloria's neck to throw her along to the ground with him.

It was a Vibrava this time. The poor pokémon crashed into the ground, causing a large cloud of dust to rise up from the forest floor. It was even harder to see now. Victor squinted his eyes and searched for his sister. Was she okay? Cane shielded her from the attack... Maybe he wasn't guilty of his accusations after all? Victor shook his head. He was still taking her out in secret! There must be something more to this. He could finally see his sister rising up from the dust. It seemed that she'd let out Eternatus, which was floating loyally beside her. The gigantic pokémon turned around to stare right into Victor's eyes while Gloria rushed towards the wounded pokémon. Victor froze in panic. Eternatus knew he was here. He knew he was following them! It just kept staring at him, but somehow it felt rather reassuring than scary. Gloria was holding the fainted Vibrava in its arms now, showing it to Cane. The red haired boy fed the pokémon a berry and wrapped it up in a warm cloth.

''I'll take it to Sonia tomorrow. I'll say it attacked me on the way there.'' Gloria mumbled as she handed the Vibrava over to Cane.

Cane nodded and stretched out his free hand towards her for the young champion to grab it. ''You should do that. Come on now, we can't waste any time standing around.

Eternatus turned around and followed its trainer and her friend further into the woods. But instead of the usual route, which let to the altar, they took a different road. One that was even more crowded with plants. The fog kept getting thicker and thicker. It became harder every second to keep track with them. Even Eternatus's gigantic glowing body seemed invisible. He stopped walking and looked around. There was nothing or no one at all. His twin sister had completely disappeared into the mist now. He gritted his teeth and let out a groan. How could he lose her? He took a deep breath. Focus, Victor, focus! He had the evidence he needed now. She was indeed meeting up with Cane to train in secret. He had to show this footage to Sonia tomorrow. It was for the best if he'd try to search for the exit now.