Goibhniu

Celtic gods & goddesses

Goibhniu

Goibhniu, ( Celtic: “Divine Smith”, ) Welsh Gofannon, ancient Celtic smith god. Goibhniu figured in Irish tradition as one of a trio of divine craftsmen; the other two were Luchta the wright and Creidhne the metalworker. Goibhniu was also the provider of the sacred otherworld feast, the Fled Goibhnenn; he allegedly brewed the special ale thought to confer immortality on those who drank it. In Christian times he became known as Gobbán Saer (Gobbán the Joiner), legendary builder of churches and other structures; as such he is still remembered in modern Celtic folk tradition. His Welsh equivalent, Gofannon, figured in the Mabinogion (a collection of medieval Welsh tales). It was believed that his help was vital in cleansing the plow at the end of the furrows.

Origin

There are conflicting tales about his parentage. Some say his father was Esarg, son of the war-god Néit, and thus related to Balor of the Fomori; others say that his father was Tuirbe Trágmar, the ‘axe-thrower’; it was said of him that he threw his axe onto the shore thus defying the encroaching tide, which obeyed his command, reaching up the sand on a level with, but not beyond the weapon. However, this was written in a C15th text, and it’s possible that the Gobánn referred to is in fact a C7th architect known as Gobann Saor.

Goibniu is often connected with Credne the silversmith and craftsman, and Luchtaine the carpenter. Together they form a triad known as the Trí de Dána, or the ‘Three Gods of Art’. Although these characters are spoken of in the mythology as three distinct persons, it is also possible that they represented the triple aspect of the God of Smithcraft, as was so popular in ancient Irish lore. We see this, for example, with Brigit, who was said to have two sisters also named Brigit, the three Queens of Eire, Banba, Fodla and Eriu, and the Morrigan, whose sisters were named Anann and Nemhain.

Credne and Luchtaine were sometimes thought to be Gobniu’s brothers, but on occasions Dian-Cecht, the Denann physician, and Nuada and the Dagda are also given as his brothers.

Stories

in Celtic Christian mythology, the Gobán Saor is credited with the design and construction of many early churches. Taking the analogy further it might be that, in some parts of the Celtic world, Goibhniu was loosely equated with God as the Master Builder of the Firmament and the Designer of Creation. He appears as such in a ninth-century poem where he is described as Gobán.

Although primarily a builder, Goibhniu was credited with power over natural forces. By throwing his axe and creating a line in the sand, he ensured that the incoming tide advanced no further than Tráigh Thuirbhe – Turvey Strand near Lusk in County Dublin. in some versions of the tale, Goibhnui is identified as one of the sons of the chieftain Tuirbhe who gave his name to the Strand. Later adaptations relate Tuirbhe to Lúgh, the Celtic god of light, giving Goibhniu his divine pedigree in the overall Celtic pantheon.

Since the advent of Christianity, Gobán became an accepted personal name and was even adopted by several saints - perhaps to show a connection with early medieval architecture or to denote their prowess as artisans. it is also used to show the superiority of the church.in Celtic Christian mythology, the Gobán Saor is credited with the design and construction of many early churches. Taking the analogy further it might be that, in some parts of the Celtic world, Goibhniu was loosely equated with God as the Master Builder of the Firmament and the Designer of Creation. He appears as such in a ninth-century poem where he is described as Gobán.

Although primarily a builder, Goibhniu was credited with power over natural forces. By throwing his axe and creating a line in the sand, he ensured that the incoming tide advanced no further than Tráigh Thuirbhe – Turvey Strand near Lusk in County Dublin. in some versions of the tale, Goibhnui is identified as one of the sons of the chieftain Tuirbhe who gave his name to the Strand. Later adaptations relate Tuirbhe to Lúgh, the Celtic god of light, giving Goibhniu his divine pedigree in the overall Celtic pantheon.

Since the advent of Christianity, Gobán became an accepted personal name and was even adopted by several saints - perhaps to show a connection with early medieval architecture or to denote their prowess as artisans. it is also used to show the superiority of the church.

Gobán also appears in a tale concerning another holy man, Saint Molaing. The saint, says the legend, had a wonderful oratory constructed for him from timber by a workman called Gobán Saor. As payment, Gobán's wife demanded that the oratory should be filled with grain that would then be given to Gobán. The wily saint agreed, provided the wight could invert the oratory so that it might be filled. He stipulated that if it were damaged in any way through this manoeuvre, Gobán would receive no payment at all. in doing so, Saint Molaing thought he would trick Gobán out of the entire payment. The workman was so skilful that no damage was done to the oratory, and the saint had to pay him.

One curious tale about Gobán survives. it was said that his fame as an architect/builder reached as far as south Munster where a number of monks hired him, although he was a pagan, to build a new tower for their abbey. Gobán built the tower for them but the monks refused to pay him the rate that they had agreed, offering him a far lower wage. He refused to renegotiate the contract and while he was working at the top of the tower, the monks removed all his ladders, leaving him stranded.

They would put the ladders back, they said, only if Gobán would agree to their terms. The wily builder began to drop the stones of the tower itself to the ground, one on top of the other, saying that this was as easy a way as any to come down. The monks, seeing their beautiful tower literally vanishing before their eyes, were forced to relent and pay Gobán his full wages.

The story is particularly curious because it demonstrates the triumphant guile of the pagan over the officers of the Church.