Sinann

Celtic gods & goddesses

Sinann

Sinann, a Celtic goddess, was originally a mortal woman who searched for the Well of Knowledge, known as Connla’s Well. The well itself formed a triad of divine wisdom. The Salmon of Knowledge, and nuts fallen from nine magical hazel trees and the well itself. The only people allowed access to the well were Nechtan (a shadowy figure whose name may have an origin similar to Neptune, implying a water god) and his servants. She approached the well in secret, disregarding the prohibition. Instead of drinking the water and catching the fish, or eating the nuts, she opened the cover and the well reacted with anger to her unauthorized presence. The water rose up and rushed over her, drowning her and carrying her spirit to the ocean. The river that resulted became known as the River Shannon, which is Ireland’s longest river.

Sinann, a Celtic goddess, teaches us an important lesson regarding the seeking of knowledge. What we are shown here is that is unwise to seek knowledge to satisfy an idle curiosity, or to fee the ego, for such knowledge will totally overwhelm the unprepared. However, looking at it in a different way, Sinann was accepted by the guardian of the well, but only if she sacrificed her own personal ego and identity for the good of a greater whole.

Another story about Sinann, a Celtic goddess,- said that she was a slayer of sea monsters. She had a temple on the island of Inis-Cathaig. Later, the Christians had a story about a St. Senan, a man, who killed a sea monster and established a monastery on Inis-Cathaig.