Nuada

Celtic gods & goddesses

Nuada

Nuada was the first king the Tuatha Dé Danann, equivalent to the Gaulish Nodens and Welsh Nudd/Ludd. He was also called Nuada Airgetlám (Nuada of the Silver Hand/Arm) or Lludd Llaw Eraint (Lludd of the Silver Hand).

Nuada was the god of the sea, healing, and warfare, linked to the Roman gods Mars and Neptune, and also the Norse god Týr/Tir. He is also associated with the sun, youth, beauty, writing, sorcery and magic.

Stories of Nuada

Nuada led the Tuatha Dé Danann into battle and took the land from the Fir Bolgs who resided there at that time. During the first battle of Moytura, his right arm was severed in combat with the Fir Bolg warrior Sreang. Nuada asked Sreang to tie up his own right arm to continue with the combat in a fair way but Sreang refused. The Tuatha Dé Danann intervened and offered the province of Connaght to Sreang to save their beloved Nuada.

Breas the Beautiful gained the Kingship because of Nuada’s imperfection. And while Breas reigned, Nuada’s physician, Dian Céacht, magically fashioned him a silver arm, hence, he became known as Nuada of the Silver Arm. However, Dian Céacht persisted with his magic and restored his arm to perfection after an operation that lasted nine days where the physician never left Nuada’s side. He was perfect and eligible to be King again.

At the second Battle of Moytura when the Tuatha Dé Danann went to battle with the Formorians, King Nuada gave Lugh authority over his army. At that battle, Nuada was slain by the powerful Formorian, Balor of the Evil Eye. When Nuada lay dying, the phantom queen, The Morrigán appeared in the shape of a black crow and screamed encouragement at the De Danann troops. Fresh courage was restored and they went on to win the battle. After this the Kingship went to Lugh.