Chapter Seven - In the Mind's Eye

M.S

"How do I know- wait, what?!" Tina exclaimed, her eyes widened, and a gentle smile worked its way up to her lips.

Charlotte chimed in, "Who is it?!"

The two girls leaned over and started giggling at Maya's cherry red face. Maya concealed her face with her hands and huffed.

"I barely know if I like the bloke," Maya bashfully smiled while wringing her hands, "I don't even know if he likes me. It is possible I just fancy him." Maya shook her head.

Charlotte and Tina looked at each other and then back to Maya; Tina looked rather sorry for her.
"You're stunning, Maya. Why wouldn't he like you?" Tina asked.

"He's not an emotional guy," Maya explained carefully, she didn't even know why she was talking about this.

"Do you fancy him, or do you just," Charlotte thought for a moment, "admire him?"

Maya pondered on the question and answered apprehensively, "Both."

The girls gestured for Maya to continue.

"I admire him and admire his work. He's not a ladies man, but he's brilliant. He's clever and has such a way with words," Maya's face grew redder and redder, "He's not terribly romantic but, I assume he would be if he loved someone." The flustered girl rambled on.

"Maya, you're crushing," Charlotte sang, then placed a hand on Maya's bicep, "Go for it."

-

Severus sat at the staff table in the Great Hall; Minerva McGonagall sat to his right and kept to her own business.

"Minerva." Severus greeted in a small voice.

The witch glanced at Severus and furrowed her brows in question, "Severus," her eyes surveyed him, "You seem to be in a pleasant mood."

"I suppose I am," Severus admitted.

"How is that new assistant of yours?" Minerva
pondered; she picked up her goblet and took a small sip.

"Brilliant," He took a bit of the food in front of him, "Did Albus ever mention why she was allowed to transfer here?"

"I wanted to enlist an ally, Severus." Albus Dumbledore suddenly put himself into the conversation.

"Was I the last to discover her past?" Severus whispered in a harsh tone.

Dumbledore and Minerva nodded their heads.

"I desired for you to bond with her. I didn't want you to assume anything just because she's royalty. You and Miss Gold have more in common than you know; I required you to discover that on your own," Dumbledore explained, the twinkle in his eye grew bright, "You two are having a lesson tonight, correct?"

Severus nodded in agreement.

"Well, I wish for you to teach wandless magic. Compel her to understand the elements and the power of the spirit. This will furthermore be a test for you, Severus. You, too, will need to understand her soul, as well as yours."

"You mean," Severus hesitated, "Perform Zeltic magic? I'm teaching how to produce her own family's magic?" Severus grew frustrated.

"One day, yes. What I am currently proposing is that you need to understand her. Don't disappoint me, Severus." Albus gave the professor a stern look over his half-moon spectacles.

Severus only nodded, "Excuse me,"

He stood and left the table. His gloomy eyes searched for his assistant, and when their eyes finally met, the girl smiled. He gestured for her to follow him; Maya said goodbye to her friends and downed the rest of her drink.