Chapter Nine - Royal Soul

Before I get into this chapter, there is a slight trigger warning.
TW: choking

Chapter Nine - Royal Soul

M.S

"Dragons?" Maya took a step back.

"Indeed," Severus placed his quill down and stood up.

Maya walked towards his desk and stood in front of it. Severus stared at her intently, his private eyes examining her up and down.

"The champions will fight a dragon and will try to obtain an egg. The minor details," he paused thoughtfully, "I am unaware of at the moment." He tucked his arms over his chest.

"We'll continue our lessons, right?" Maya carefully averted her eyes from his ardent gaze.

"If you wish to," Severus said in a low voice. His eyes shifted down to her hands; she was picking at the skin around her fingernails. Severus felt a desperate urge to restrict her from doing so — the distinct feeling of nervousness was apparent in the girl.

"Are you alright?"

She bobbed her head quickly, smiled, and looked up, "Yes, Sev."

Severus coughed in shock. The previous person to call him 'Sev' was Lily Evans, "That's new. Tired of my name already?" He smirked.

Maya gently shook her head and giggled.

'Giggling like a little kid, Maya. You're way too obvious.' Her subconscious scoffed.

"We won't be working on Occlumency today — I don't want to drain all of your energy before the feast tonight. We'll be advancing your proper technique; as powerful as you are," Severus ran a deft hand through his black hair, "Your technique needs work."

Like any other lesson, their lesson was held in the Room of Requirement. Severus stood behind the student and advised her to get into a dueling stance. He walked around her and surveyed her stance. Severus frowned and resumed his place behind her.

"Despite having a wand at your disposal, you have an opening. You cannot rely on your reflexes to save you. Keep your hands closer together."

Severus shifted his own hands and placed them on Maya's. His hands were cold, and his touch was gentle. Severus positioned her hand's chest level and inch apart; the hand holding her wand was farther out but it closed the opening.

"Now," Severus withdrew his hands and stepped around her; opposing her. He pulled his wand from his seamless robes, and without warning, he cast a nonverbal stunning spell.

Maya easily deflected the spell, but the shock on her face was noticeable.

"Well go on," he frantically waved his hand in the air. Severus wanted Maya to fight back, "Why don't you use Zeltic magic today."

Maya placed her wand into her robes, eyed Severus, and took a deep breath in. Continuous streams of golden light shot out her hands. It wrapped around her body and brilliantly lit up her tan face. She flung her hand in Severus' direction, the gold light obeyed her instruction, and she attempted to strike Severus.

The man easily deflected the enchantment. His sinister eyes watching the magic light up the room, and when the golden stream wrapped around his body, his eyes followed. Severus could feel the raw power radiating from the magic. He felt the immense authority she naturally possessed, he could sense every bit of emotion in this little strand of magic.

Unaware of his preoccupied mind, Severus looked at the girl in the eyes. He didn't even notice the stream of magic hurling its way towards him. It hit Severus square in the chest, knocking him off his feet.