Chapter Ten - Forgive and Forget

S.S

Severus stared vacantly at the girl. Her hair was a mess, her makeup was ruined by sweat and blood, and her eyes were bloodshot. Despite all those shortcomings, she was beautiful. Severus watched her chest rise and fall with every breath she took – no words were uttered – Severus feared Maya would lose consciousness the minute he spoke.

"Where am I, Severus?"

Severus took a deep breathe in, "The Hospital Wing."

Maya slowly propped herself up. Severus' eyes were glued to her, wanting to make sure she didn't wince in pain and start bleeding again.

"Are you in any pain?" He silently asked.

Maya shook her head, her hands now playing with the duvet cover. She yawned and wiped her eyes, "I'm guessing you want to know what happened?"

Severus bobbed his head. Maya explained the situation; her anxiety caused her voice to waver. Maya's eyes explored the room, frantically reassuring herself that she was safe.

"Maya," Severus placed a pale hand onto her forearm, "You're safe. No one will hurt you. I am here to protect you."

"But you can't see them, Severus! How on earth am I supposed to feel safe when you can't even see them," Maya exclaimed in a hushed tone – anxious tears spilling over her eyes.

"I'm offering my help, you silly girl! If you wish to go about this alone, I will not hesitate to leave." Severus snapped. His gut instinct was to lash out at the girl; weeping women weren't his forté.

She shrugged Severus' hand off of her arm, "I don't even know how to help myself, Severus."

The professor let out a deep sigh and pinched the bridge of his crooked nose. The two of them were fine hours ago...what happened? The usual kindness his assistant portrayed created a safe environment. Now that the two were agitated, Severus couldn't help his aggressive behaviour. He thought for a minute, Regium Animums stemmed from Dementors.

"If they are anything like Dementors, they surely have a weakness. Practically every magical creature does."

Maya wiped the tears from her eyes, "The Zelts kingdom has examined them for years. Not a single weakness."

"Rubbish, Maya. Absolute rubbish. I'll find one even if it kills me," Severus' brows pulled together, "Anyway, it's getting late. Perhaps you should stay here for the night?"

Madam Pomfrey bustled back into the ward. In one hand she had small vile, in the other, she had a clean pair of pajamas.

"You'll be staying here for the night. I want to make sure you don't have any other underlying conditions," she set the pajamas on the bed, "Everything you need is in the lavatory."

Severus watched the girl swing her legs over the bed and stand. She took the pajamas and walked tiredly to the girl's lavatory.

"You don't have to stay, Severus." Poppy swished her wand and changed the duvet to another clean bedding.

"I know, Poppy. Albus has requested for me to see out my duties and take care of her. I am merely obeying his orders."

"See to it that Miss Gold drinks this draught," Poppy handed Severus the small vile and left the ward. A simple sleeping draught.

Severus recalled the first time 'Maya Gold' was mentioned. He remembered his frustration and unnecessary anger. Thinking back, Severus saw a foolish man. Maya Gold had been anything but cruel to him. He had learned to care for the girl. Severus also recalled a specific dream he had.