4

By the time that we made it to where the Narnians had assembled, the moon had risen and I was completely lost for words. Every kind of creature that the professor had read to us about was here. Centaurs was beautiful long hair and silky coats, minitours who were just as big as Nikabrik had said, fauns who looked at Caspian and I with wide eyes, and so many more I could barely keep track.

However, when Caspian walked to the middle of the circle my revelry was broken. Almost instantly all of the Narnians began shouting hateful things at my brother. I was standing off to the side next to Trufflehunter who was patting my thigh reassuringly as my hands balled into fists. 

"Liar!"

"Murderer!"

"All this horn proves is they've stolen yet another thing from us!" Nikabrik cried out angrily. My head whipped to him and I levied my worst glare on the side of his face. How could he say that after everything that had just happened? How could he not back Caspian and I when we had just risked our lives to save his friend?

"I didn't steal anything," Caspian defended and I nodded in agreement.  

"Liar!" an angry female voice rose above the crowd. 

"Didn't steal anything? Shall we list the things the Telmarines have taken?" a minitour asked and the crowd cheered in agreement. 

"Our homes!"

"Our freedom!"

"Our lives!"

"You stole Narnia!"

"You would hold me accountable for the crimes of my people?" Caspian asked. My hands were balled into fists so hard, I could feel blood dripping from where my nails were biting into my flesh. 

"Accountable... and punishable," Nikabrik challenged as he stepped down from one of the stone ledges that ringed the circular area and walked up to Caspian. The slight amount of trust I'd put in Nikabrik since he'd brought us into his home was now gone, replaced with rage.

"Ha! That is rich coming from you dwarf!" Reepicheep interjected. "Or have you forgotten it was your people who fought alongside the white witch?" I physically had to stop myself from cheering out loud. And to think, not even a few hours ago Reepicheep had wanted to kill Caspian and I. 

"And I would gladly do it again if it would rid us of these barbarians!" At this, Nikabrik looked straight at me and I took a threatening step forward. However, Trufflehunter's paw on my thigh stopped me as he instead stepped forward into the middle of the circle. 

"Then it's lucky that it is not in your power to bring her back. Or are you suggesting we ask this boy to go against Aslan now?" This was met with the roar of the crowd, most of which I could tell was in favor with Trufflehunter. 

"Some of you may have forgotten, but we badgers remember well. Narnia was never right except when a son of Adam was king."

"He's a Telmarine!" Nikabrik interjected again. "Why would we want him as our king?" I swore if he spoke out again I was going to punch him in the throat.

"Because he can help you!" I couldn't stay quiet any longer. I moved to stand next to Caspian who gave me a grateful glance. My words were met with more grumbling from the crowd, but I heard a few encouraging voices telling other's to give us a chance. 

"Beyond these woods, I am a prince," Caspian started, slowly moving in a circle to look at every single Narnian. "The Telmarine throne is rightfully mine! Help me claim it, and I can bring peace between us." I gave his arm a supportive squeeze as I welled up with pride. 

"It is true," the centaur for earlier spoke silencing everyone. "The time is ripe. I watch the skies as it is mine to watch, as it is yours to remember badger. Tarva, the lord of victory and Alambil the lady of peace, have come together in the high heavens. Now here, a son of Adam has come forth to offer us back our freedom. As well as a daughter of Eve who fights with him."

"Is this possible? Do you really think there could be peace?" I glanced up in a nearby tree to see who had spoken, and wasn't a surprised as I thought I'd be to see it was a squirrel. "Do you? I mean.. I mean really?"

"Two days ago, I didn't believe in the existence of talking animals... or dwarves.. or centaurs. Yet here you are in strength and numbers that we Telmarines could never have imagined. Whether this horn is magical or not, it brought us together." Caspian raised Queen Susan's horn in his hand.  "And together, we have a chance to take back what is ours."

"If you will lead us, then my sons and I offer you our swords," the centaur said as he raised his own beautiful blade. One by one, every Narnian around us raised their own weapons until nothing but silver flashed in the moonlight streaming through the trees.

"And we offer you our lives unreservedly," Reepicheep added. I couldn't stop the smile that crept onto my face as I looked around. I felt happiness to know that the stories were real and that Narnians still existed. I felt confident for possibly the first time in my life that my Uncle would truly get what was coming to him. But most of all, I felt proud of my brother. I could see him slowly becoming the king he was always meant to be. Now, without the threat of Miraz hanging over his head, he could lead and show everyone just how capable he was.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

That night, me, Caspian, Reepicheep, and several other Narnians crept to where our Uncle was building his bridge to cross the main river that divided Telmar and the forest where the Narnians had been hiding. Glenstorm, the centaur chief, had led our party to where it was as apparently the Narnian's had been watching it's progress from the shadows. While almost every Telmarine soldier was asleep, we snuck in under the cover of darkness and stole enough weapons and armor for two of Miraz's regiments. 

As we were about to leave, a wicked idea crossed my mind. After helping to move everything we needed, I snuck back and used a dagger lent to me by Glenstorm to carve a message into one of the wagons.

When I caught back up to the group, Caspian gave me a long look.

"What did you just do Cat?" he asked lowly.

"Relax hermano," I teased him. "I just left a message for dear old Uncle Miraz."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

A little while later when most of the Narnian's had set up camp for the night, Cas and I sat in front of a fire, the smoke curling up into the night air. 

"Catarina," Cas whispered breaking me out of my daze that I'd been in staring at the smoke. 

"Yea?" I answered. 

"I realized I haven't thanked you yet for helping me get out of the castle." 

"Don't worry about it," I said. "You're my brother and the future king. I'd do anything for you. You know that Cas." Growing up with the death of our father as well as Miraz's dangerous ambition, Caspian and I had always had to rely on each other. We'd learned how to read, spell, ride horses, sword fight, and so much more together. He wasn't just my brother, he was my best friend. 

"I hope you know that goes both ways," he smiled at me and I smiled back. After a few seconds, his smile dropped and he looked back at the flames. 

"Caspian? What is it?" I asked. 

"It's just... a lot has happened in just the past few days." I nodded in understanding. "I need you with me for this," he said softly. "I trust Gelnstorm, but I need you as my right hand woman. You're smart, you know about Miraz's strategies, and you're the most lethal person I know with any kind of weapon." I couldn't help but blush at the compliment. It was true that while Caspian had learned about economics and the rules of a kingdom, I had always been more interested in battle strategies and the military. I'd been training with every kind of weapon since I could remember. I could beat Caspian in a sword fight and outshoot anyone I knew with a bow or crossbow. It'd been my dream to take over as general when Caspian was crowned king. Telmar's first female general.

"I'm with you to the end." I reached over and placed a hand on his shoulder. "Besides, everyone here knows you wouldn't last a day without me." I shoved his shoulder causing him to tip over and I laughed as he stared up at me. 

"Just another one of your talents. That, and knowing how to ruin a nice moment."