14

The cry of our fellow Narnians was deafening as I followed Peter out of the How. He walked in front covered from head to toe in armor with Edmund and I on either side. Ed held Peter's sword in his hands while I had my bow in one of mine. Hanging so as appear less threatening, but in my hand in case I should need it. Although I was only girl out of our trio, I knew with my red and gold trimmed dress that I'd been gifted from one of the female fauns, silver armor, dark hair pulled half-way up out of my face, sword at my side and quiver of arrows on my back, that I looked every bit the part as the fierce Narnian warrior as Peter and Edmund did. 

We walked to the ruins outside the How in silence, all of our eyes trained on my uncle who sat in between his advisors waiting for us. If he was surprised to see Caspian not with us, his cold calculating look didn't show it. Glenstorm stood waiting for us, his sword raised in front of his face. He nodded to Peter, then turned and walked into the ruins in step with the three of us when we reached him. Edmund handed Peter his sword which he unsheathed with one graceful movement. The Narnians let out a cry of encouragement at this. 

Peter walked into the center at the same time as Miraz, and they began to circle each other. My heart began to beat hard and fast in my chest in anticipation. My hands began to get sweaty, and I shifted my bow from one hand to the other. While I trusted Peter and knew he could defeat my uncle, it didn't mean I was any less nervous for him.

"There is still time to surrender," Miraz said, his voice muffled from his helmet.

"Well feel free," Peter replied.

"How many more must die for the throne?" Miraz asked and I wanted to scoff at his hypocrisy. 

"Just one," Peter said sliding his metal mask down over his face. And with that, the real fight started. Peter ran and jumped on one of the rocks jutting out of the ground, propelling himself in the air towards Miraz. They blocked several of the other's blows, the sound of steel clashing ringing in my ears. Miraz used his shield to hit Peter in the face, and I drew in a breath. I felt a hand squeeze my own, and I looked down to see Edmund's hand grasping mine. I wasn't sure who had reached for who first, or when we had even started holding hands, but I was glad for it now. 

Peter got in a good slice across Miraz's back, causing him to cry out. Peter blocked Miraz's next swing ducking under the blade however it left him open as Miraz took the opportunity and hit Peter again with his shield in the face, hard. Peter's helmet and chainmail came off, leaving his head completely exposed. In retaliation, Peter ducked low and slashed Miraz's thigh deeply. Miraz stumbled and I felt Edmund's hand tighten around mine. 

The two traded a few more blows as we all watched with bated breaths, until Miraz kicked Peter's legs causing him to fall. Before I could draw my next breath, Miraz stomped on Peter's shield which was still clasped to his arm. Peter cried out as his arm was bent at an unnatural angle and Edmund drew in a sharp breath at the same time I gasped. While Peter was still on the ground, Miraz began slashing and swiping down at him. Peter rolled away to avoid Miraz's sword and I cringed to myself thinking about the pain Peter was probably in right now with his arm. 

The tide changed however when after blocking yet another one of Miraz's blows, Peter threw his body weight the opposite way he'd been rolling, causing him to plow right into Miraz's feet. Miraz fell hard and Peter finally got up as the Narnians cried out in support. Much to my dismay though, Miraz was just as fast to get back to his feet. 

At the sound of hoofbeats, all of our attention was turned towards Caspian who was riding up to the ruins with Susan behind him. While I was relieved to see both of them, my heart clenched in worry for Lucy. 

"Does his highness need a respite?" Miraz spit out. 

"Five minutes," Peter said through his teeth.