4| Breaking Point

To all my Cedric fans...

***

I stepped outside and took in the fresh air. I glanced around and caught muggles walking around. I didn't know where to go so I just walked on the sidewalk and acted like I totally knew what I'm doing.

I stared down because I felt uncomfortable looking around.

Bad idea.

I slammed into someone's chest and I glimpsed up to see who it was.

"CEDRIC!" I exclaimed and hugged him tightly as a reflex.

Cedric was hurt badly after the tournament last year and I was surprised he was out here in London by himself.

"Athena!" he grinned and hugged me back.

Before I could help it, I was sobbing.

I mean- my boyfriend is after another girl RIGHT IN MY FACE- and my own mother doesn't even like me for me.

"Athena- I know it was a bad injury but I'm alright. I was allowed to come out of Saint Mungo's a few weeks ago," he said, rubbing my back, comforting me.

"It- it's not that," I said, trying to wipe my tears but more kept slipping out.

"Want me to take you to my new place?" he asked and I almost forgot he was out of Hogwarts.

Yeah- Cedric's two years older than me.

"Yeah," I mumbled and just let the tears come out. I was in no mood to keep a fake smile on.

I let him lead me through London and didn't let go when he held my hand.

Before I knew it, we were in another muggle apartment room.

"This is only temporary," he said as I looked around.

It was much more vibrant than Sirius's place but I didn't plan on being here for long- the Order would probably track me down before dinner.

"Want to tell me what's going on?" he asked gently and I let him pull me next to him on the couch.

Once I explain everything to him- about Lilia getting in Fred and I's relationship & how my own mother likes another girl more than her own daughter.

"I always knew you two were going to end up together," Cedric murmured and I let out a few tears.

"Athena," he said and stroked my hair while I wiped my tears away.

"We're not together anymore," I murmured and he sighed.

"Wait-" he said all of a sudden and I looked at him.

"Did you just run away?" he asked, concern showing on his face. He was worried but I don't know why. We only exchanged a few words during the tournament. 

I told him we were staying at a muggle apartment because I wasn't sure if I was allowed to tell him about Number 12 Grimmauld place. I probably wasn't.

I winced.

"Athena!" he finally said something, throwing up his hands.

"I'll go back soon but I just wanted a distraction," I sighed, playing with my hair. I twisted my usual straight hair into curls that straightened easily as soon as I let go. "I just can't be in there." 

Cedric gently grabbed a hold of a few strands of my hair. 

"I understand," he sighed and went back to braiding my hair.

"Enough about me- how are you?" I asked and he made room for me to put my head on his chest.

"Well I was trapped in Saint Mungo's..." he said and I smiled faintly.

"Sorry."

"It's okay, I've just been thinking about what I will do with my share of the money from the tournament and what I want to do now that I'm out of Hogwarts," he answered.

"Sounds like a tough decision." 

"Yeah, I still don't know what I want to do," he sighed.

"What classes are your favorite?" I asked him.

"Herbology, Charms, and... Potions," he replied.

"Um... try something for the Ministry of Magic," I suggested.

"Yeah, that's what mum and dad told me," he sighed, wearily. 

***

"Well, Athena. It's almost dinner time- you should get back," he frowned. We've been talking about Hogwarts and Ministry of Magic for about an hour and the sun was getting ready to set. He gave me great advice for my last year at Hogwarts. 

"Fine," I pouted and stood up.

"Wait-" he said and I turned around.

"Can I do something...?" he asked and I looked into his beautiful eyes.

"Yeah?" I asked, tilted my head to the side. 

"I know I shouldn't do this but..." he leaned closer and I had the sudden urge to close the space in between us.

"Do it," I whispered, gazing into his eyes.

He hesitated but kissed me.

I kissed him back before I could come to my senses.

We were moving in sync and he was gently touching me everywhere.

I pulled back before either of us could take off any part of our clothing.

"I'll drop you home," he said, breathing deeply.

"Mhm, yeah," I said, distractedly.

Fred kept popping up in my mind.

We walked back in silence but before we could near Grimmauld Place I stopped.

"This is the one. I'll see you later," I said. I didn't want to give away too much so I stopped us one block away.

"Okay, send me an owl," he answered and ruffled my hair before leaving.

I pretended to tie my shoelaces and waited until he was out of sight before I went to Number 12 Grimmauld Place.

Was Athena being too dramatic? I don't know... I would do the same