Chapter Two

Ronan clanked out of the car, Fisk and all his supplies in hand, and entered the quaint cape cod style house he lived in with his parents.

        "Mom, I'm home," he called.

        Ronan immediately went into the family room and found a place for Fisk's bowl. He put it on an end table that was close to a window thinking the fish might enjoy looking out of it from time to time. He looked at the placement of the bowl and then at Fisk who was still in his plastic bag. "What do you think?" he asked motioning to the placement of the bowl.

        The fish swam back and forth impatiently. "It's a wonderful spot." Ronan's heart filled with pride when the fish said he liked the spot. "Now get me out of this damn plastic bag," the fish griped.

        Ronan sighed.

        After he got Fisk situated in his new home he went to find his mom to ask her what she thought about his new recent... ability. And he found her in the kitchen pinned against the fridge, as his father lightly kissed up and down her neck.

        "Arg! Dude seriously?" Ronan cried. He wanted to gouge his eyes out. Obviously he knew his parents did stuff like that, but he preferred that it was one of those things he knew happened but never ever had to witness. "Get a room!"

        His parents quickly broke apart. Rebecca, his mom at least had the decency to look embarrassed as she smoothed out her shirt and quickly left the room. No doubt to go in search of his new pet. His father, however, just grinned, not the least bit sorry for the mental scarring he had just caused his son. "We had a room, sea monkey," his father said with a shrug. "You just must not have seen the do not disturb sign"

        "You. Are. Disgusting." Ronan told his father with fake cheerfulness.

        His mother cleared her throat from the door and offered a change in subject. "So, Ronan, I thought you were getting a ferret."

        "I decided the fish was more interesting." And he wasn't lying. Fisk was definitely the most interesting animal in that store. He had spunk.

        "Uh-huh," his mother didn't believe him.

        His dad let out a snort, "Unless that thing's talking to you, I fail to see what could be remotely interesting about a goldfish."

        Ronan's heart jumped into his throat, shocked at how on the mark his dad's offhand comment had been. Should he tell them the truth? They might decide he's crazy, or worse, not believe him.

        But... they had taken to the whole electricity thing shockingly well. So this little admittance should go about the same.

        Hopefully.

        "So, actually, since you brought that up," he began nervously. "What would you say if hypothetically I could talk to fish?"

        His dad snorted and his mother smacked him hissing, "John!"

        His mom opened her mouth to reply. "Well, I'd say," Ronan waited eagerly to hear what she had to say.

        From the other room he heard Fisk yell, "She'd say you're an idiot." Yup, that fish was a winner.

        "I'd say it's time for us to go on a vacation," she finished cheerfully.

        "No, seriously, mom," Ronan sighed. He wanted an answer.

        "No, seriously, Ronan," she imitated with that scary mom edge. The one that said you better quit while I'm ahead because we both know I'm winning this discussion anyway. "We're going to take a family vacation," she grinned.

        John mirrored her enthusiasm, "Pack your bags, Sea Monkey. Tomorrow we're heading for the shore."