Chapter Four

It took Ronan about half the drive to realize he would be able to talk to the fish in the aquarium. And then he really couldn't wait to get there. As soon as the car was parked, Ronan bolted toward the front entrance of the building, not even bothering to wait for his parents. They'd catch up... or not. At that moment it didn't really matter to him. There were so many fish to talk to and so little time.

        He bought his ticket and headed into the aquarium stopping in front of the directory. Hmm, where should I go first? He felt just like a kid in a candy store, and had to stop himself from giggling uncontrollably. Oh great, I really am acting like a kid in a candy store. Next I'll start drooling. He silently contemplated on how people would react to a twenty-something year old man drooling and giggling while talking to fish.

        As soon as the rather disturbing mental image formed, Ronan tried to shove it in the back closet of his mind. And hopefully he'd never see it again. Ever...

        After looking at the directory for way longer than what was considered kosher Ronan decided to head to the piranhas first. Those guys cracked him up when he couldn't understand them.

        He arrived at the tank. It was a fairly decent size and had maybe ten of the flesh eating fish. "Hey guys," Ronan greeted jovially, smiling from ear to ear.

        The result was instantaneous. The fish who had been swimming peacefully all froze and became still as rocks. Slowly they turned to stare at Ronan. "Yeah, I'm talking to you," he grinned at how perplexed they looked.

        In the blink of an eye they were practically glued to the glass, all trying to talk to him at the same time.

        Wow, you talk!

                        Say something else!

                                        You can understand us.

        "Yes," Ronan said trying his hardest not to laugh.

        They all got very still again, staring at him with their silver, unblinking fishy eyes.

        That is so... wait for it...Cool! They all started jumping around in a very non-piranha-like way.

        You're awesome!

        Ronan laughed out loud at that and touched the glass with his hand. He jumped back when he emitted one of his shocks.

        Ooh... The piranhas said in unison. They began to talk excitedly to themselves.

        Hey guys, a particularly old piranha said quietly. No one heard him. He gave Ronan an annoyed look and Ronan shrugged.

        The old piranha sighed and hollered Idiots! So loud it made Ronan wince. All the other fish grew quiet. I just wanted to remind you that we're piranhas. And we've just been fed.

        They all darted away quickly, fighting over their meal. All but the old fish. Sorry, Rasha, they get a little too excited sometimes, the old fish apologized.

        "That's okay... Wait, how did you know that name? My fish calls me that." Ronan asked perplexed.

        That's what we all call your family. The fish explained.

        That didn't really help much. "Who, me, Rebecca and John?" Ronan asked, beyond confused.

        No, not the people who raised you. Your birth family.