Chapter Eighteen

John and Rebecca stumbled down to the water practically dragging Ronan between them. His movements had become sluggish with the approach of his transformation. Already his fingers had become webbed and scales had started to emerge on what was visible of his arms. They quickened the pace when Ronan's breathing became labored and ended up running straight into the ocean with him when they finally reached it. John and Rebecca let go of their son and watched as he sunk down in the shallow water, submerging himself with a sigh of relief. He felt much better in the water. And John felt much better now that he wasn't juggling his twenty-two year old son and the little fish bowl that Rebecca had insisted he bring.

        Ronan quickly shucked off his shirt and forced himself to stand up out of the water and face his parents. They were looking at him with a mix of complete love and a disbelieving awe.

        He really was a beautiful boy. All that pale skin was highlighted by shimmering lapis-lazuli scales that morphed into a pearly white before they merged into his skin. Unlike when he was forced to change, the transition from skin to scales was flawless. And his eyes danced with a vibrancy that had been missing since he first started to become a mer.

        He looked young, vibrant and happy and they knew that he would be leaving them forever. Most parents expected their children to move when they were around Ronan's age. But… he wasn't moving. They wouldn't get any visits from him. They wouldn't be able to visit him. Or call him on the phone. Or text. Nothing. They would go from living with their son to absolutely no contact. And it absolutely broke their hearts.

        Ronan saw his mother trying to choke back the sob that was threatening to escape and quickly enveloped her into a hug. He tried to think of something to say to the woman who had raised him. Who loved him and kept him safe for most of his life, but everything he thought to say just didn't do his feelings justice.

        He ended out sputtering out a barely audible, "I love you mom," before backing away from the woman. He looked to his dad and they shared a meaningful look. A look that said more than any words that would have been spoken. And last he looked to Fisk. He hadn't know the little guy long but he'd miss him. The fish gave him a watery smile and flipped in his bowl.

        "Rasha."

        Ronan backed into the water until he was waist deep in the wonderfully salty liquid. He felt a hand on his shoulder and looked to see Tiburon smiling at him. "It's time," is all the mer said to him before moving his hands to Ronan's waist, more specifically, to the hem of Ronan's pants. The innocent act felt unbelievably sensual to Ronan and he found himself wishing that Tiburon would continue the delicate touches to his side.

        "May I?" the mer asked breathily into Ronan's ear. When Ronan nodded his consent Tiburon slowly began to slip the man's pants and underwear off so he would be able to complete his transformation.

        It felt weird. That was the only way Ronan could think to describe it. His legs were tingling all over, the same way they did when they fell asleep. And the next thing he knew, he had a tail. A beautiful blue tail with a long graceful caudal fin. He naturally began to tread water to keep himself afloat and marveled at how quickly he seemed to adapt to having a tail.

        It just felt so right. So natural to be like this in the water with Tiburon close to him, offering little touches of support and coos of encouragement. Ronan leaned back into the strong body behind him, content. At least he wouldn't be alone down there.

"Ooh, Ronan's got a boyfriend!" Fisk taunted causing Ronan to turn a beat red and Tiburon to laugh.

        The lighthearted atmosphere was absolutely shattered by a gruff voice yelling, "You're not getting away from me mer!"