Chapter Seventeen - How To Get A Date

It's been a few days since McGonagall announced the Yule Ball to the students; Hazel and Hermione were so excited, though both of them had no dates yet. They both sat outside the clock tower entrance amongst other eager students, majority of who were girls.

"Any ideas who you're going to take to the Yule Ball?", Hermione asked Hazel with interest.

Hazel wanted to go with Harry, but she was too nervous to say anything. She had noticed a few times Harry looking over at Cho Chang, a very beautiful girl in Ravenclaw, and she would hate to give Harry mixed feelings. Perhaps Harry really liked Hazel as a friend and nothing more? She wasn't too sure, not just yet.

"I don't know, Hermione, you?", she replied back, with an uncertain tone in her voice.

Hermione timidly smiled to herself and looked down at the book she had sat on her lap. Hazel glanced over to Hermione and noticed her smile, causing a grin to form on Hazel's face.

"What? Who is it?", Hazel asked, desperate for an answer.

She shook Hermione's shoulders until she finally gave in.

"Alright, alright!", Hermione responded, still smiling and feeling giddy.

"Viktor Krum asked me", she said, now looking up at Hazel's excited face.

Hazel was gobsmacked and over the moon for Hermione! She tightly squeezed Hermione and smiled with joy. Hermione was just as happy, and appreciated the happiness Hazel felt for her.

"Enough about me, we need to get you a date!", Hermione giggled.

Hazel sat back and shrugged as though she was slightly unbothered.

"I don't know, I'll just wait until somebody asks me", she responded.

Meanwhile, Harry and Ron were in the courtyard, surrounded by even more joyous students. They slowly walked through, passing the girls from Beauxbatons and some girls from Ravenclaw. They watched Harry and Ron walk past with faces of disgust.

"Why do they have to travel in packs?", Harry asked with annoyance, talking about the girls.

They paused in their tracks and awkwardly smiled at a small group of girls who did not give smiles back, and looked at the boys up and down as though they were smaller than them. Feeling slightly embarrassed, Harry and Ron walked away whilst hearing giggles in the distance.

"Blimey Harry, you've fought a dragon, if you can't get a date who can?", Ron replied, almost in disbelief that neither of them have managed to ask someone out.

Harry chuckled lightly and responded in a sarcastic tone.

"I think I'd take the dragon right now".

They walked to the other end and sat down with annoyed expressions. They folded their arms and watched the other students walk past, still looking glum and having no dates. The air around them grew colder and colder, and the mist that flew out of their mouths when they spoke created a white translucent fog. Harry turned his face to Ron, slightly nervous.

"I might ask Hazel to the dance", he admitted, shaking in the cold weather.

Ron's eyes lit up and his brows raised. He looked down with concentration, then back up at Harry again.

"That's great Harry but, isn't this ball, you know...", Ron stuttered.

"For dates, not friends..?", Ron finished, looking slightly confused.

Harry gulped and thought for a moment. He looked at Ron in slight confusion, perhaps he didn't really understand Harry's intention.

"No one knows anything about Hazel, she's been here for what? 4 months almost?", Ron said, shrugging his shoulders.