Chapter Thirty Four - To A Fierce Friend

Dumbledore sat down, his finger slowly tracing his chapped and closed lips. His eyes scanned the students and professors that sat in front of him in the Great Hall. It was quieter than silence, everyone hung their heads low, their breathing synced as one. Dumbledore rose out his seat and slowly made his way to the centre of the top half of the hall, clasping his hands together and looking out at everyone's remorseful faces.

"Today, we acknowledge a really terrible loss", he began, clearing his throat.

"Cedric Diggory was, as you all know, exceptionally hard-working, infinitely fair-minded, and most importantly, a fierce, fierce friend", he continued, scanning the sad expressions.

"Now, I think, therefore, you have the right to know exactly how he died", he declared before clenching his fists and revealing the name no one wanted to hear.

"Cedric Diggory was murdered by Lord Voldemort!", he announced.

The room stayed silent, but everyone's faces dropped. Hermione's squeezed her eyes shut as she firmly gripped onto Hazel's hand who was sat beside her. Hazel clutched her hand back and looked down with guilt. She was all out of tears now, but her broken eyes expressed more sadness than the tears that escaped it. The end of her button nose was a red-ish tint, a result from her sobs that pulled at her muscles and drained her blood. Harry placed his warm hand on hers and softly caressed it. He maintained eye contact with Dumbledore as he took in every word he spoke, replaying the event in his mind. Ron looked glum and hung his head, his eyes trembled with sympathy. The other side of the room was Cho, who's eyes flooded with salty tears. She caught them from splashing onto her robe, sniffling quietly in the process. Draco, who was a few rows behind her, lowered his head, for he felt beyond desolated. And the worst part was, he didn't even realise his own father was there, in the flesh, who assisted and witnessed the innocent boy's murder. Faces turned and lowered, their eyebrows curled and their eyes squinted, their lips frowned.

"The Ministry or Magic do not wish me to tell you this, but not to do so, I think, would be an insult to his memory", Dumbledore declared, his voice aching with remorse.

His voice softened and became quieter.

"Now, the pain we all feel at this dreadful loss reminds me, and reminds us, that while we may come from different places and speak in different tongues, our hearts beat as one", he said.

Hagrid, who was sat towards the front, nodded his head softly as he wiped a single tear that escaped his glass eyes. The room felt incomplete without Cedric, and the castle had now lost a piece of itself. Harry's eye grew in sadness and anger, his lips quivered as he not only heard but felt the stinging words Dumbledore spoke.

"In light of recent events, the bonds of friendship we've made this year will be more important than ever", Dumbledore informed.

Hazel and Hermione quickly shared a gentle glance at each other, their eyes locking. They rubbed each other's hands gently for a moment or two, and silently sighed as one. Hazel cherished the friendships she made this year, she now realised that these people, this castle, they were her only home. One brick of her home was already thrown away, she couldn't bare to lose any more.

"Remember that, and Cedric Diggory will not have died in vain, you remember that! And we'll celebrate a boy who was kind and honest and brave and true, right to the very end", he finished before using his wand and transformed the navy blue flags that hung from the dark ceiling of the hall into a mustard yellow, in honour of Cedric and his values.