Chapter Twenty Six - Forest's Corpse

"So this is what you do in your free time? Explore the forest?", Hazel asked whilst walking with Hagrid, Harry, Ron and Hermione.

It's a few days after the second trial, the four are taking a little time away from the castle and exploring the forest with Hagrid.

"It's a fascinating place, tell me, have you ever been to a place as beautiful as Hogwarts?", Hagrid asked Hazel, admiring his surroundings in the night sky.

The ceiling of the world was lit up with tiny specks of white stars that hid behind the bushy leaves of the sage trees.

"There's no place that compares", Hazel said, reassuringly.

She ventured deeper into the woods, slightly ahead of Hagrid and the other three. Whilst they chatted behind her, Hazel felt an eerie breeze brush past her. All of a sudden, she felt uneasy. She felt familiar to this environment, it was almost like deja vu. But something felt off. She peered around the tree she was about to pass and screamed in horror. Within seconds, Harry sprinted to Hazel and grabbed her, wrapping his arms loosely round her shoulders whilst Ron and Hermione quickly raced behind. Ron had his wand out ready, but neither of them were expecting a dead body to be left in the forest. Hagrid eventually made his way to them and pushed them out the way before revealing the body to himself. And it wasn't just any body, the dead corpse belonged to Barty Crouch Sr.

It didn't take long for Hagrid to report the body to Dumbledore. Hagrid immediately sent Hazel, Harry, Ron and Hermione away and back to the common room, not to speak of Crouch's body. However, Hazel didn't feel right, something very extremely unusual. Hazel felt as though she saw this coming, but she wasn't entirely sure.

The same night, with Hagrid back in his hut and Harry, Ron and Hermione in their dormitories, Hazel snuck out and wandered the corridors. She wanted to see Dumbledore, she knew something was wrong and she knew she could tell him.

"Hazel, where are you going?", Harry whispered as she left the common room.

She stopped and looked at Harry, almost in tears. Harry, unsure on what to do, walked up to Hazel and comforted her.

"Something isn't right", Hazel trembled, resting her head on Harry's shoulder.

"Crouch's death felt so familiar to me, I don't understand why", she said, pulling away from Harry.

"Dumbledore might", he suggested.

They both crept to his office.

Though his doors were shut, they could hear words being spoken from inside. Harry recognised a voice, a voice Hazel wasn't familiar with.

"Dumbledore's speaking to Moody and Cornelius Fudge, he's the minister of magic", Harry whispered to Hazel as they both had their ears to the door.

"They're thinking of...- cancelling the tournament?", Hazel questioned, vaguely hearing their conversation.

"Excuse me, gentlemen, it may interest you to know that this conversation is no longer private", Moody's voice quietly suggested, before opening the doors with his wand, revealing Hazel and Harry eavesdropping on their conversation.

They both stood awkwardly.

"Ah, Mr Potter and Miss Jones, we were just finishing our conversation", Dumbledore lied, sending Fudge and Moody out.

Hazel and Harry cautiously approached Dumbledore who was pacing up and down.

"Professor, I need to admit something", Hazel said, twiddling her thumbs and clearing her throat.

Dumbledore stopped and faced Hazel intriguingly.

"Crouch's death - I didn't expect it to happen but it felt so familiar to me, like I've seen it happen before. Does that mean anything?" Hazel questioned with uncertain eyes.