Chapter Twenty - The Yule Ball

A grand entrance; the Great Hall doors swung open, allowing the Triwizard champions to walk through and onto the dance floor for the opening dance. The champions were lead by Fleur DeLacour, who was dressed in a stunning grey dress and linked arms with a striking man, Roger Davies. Behind them were Viktor, in his crimson jacket, matching with the other students in the Durmstrang Institute, and Hermione who beamed with excitement. Shortly after followed Cedric and Cho, who also linked arms together and waved to their fellow peers. And finally at the back was Harry and Hazel. Their arms were linked together, and they both nervously smiled. It was strange, Hazel had never had so much limelight in her life, but she was over joyous to share her moment with Harry. Students and teachers gathered around them and surrounded the dance floor, waiting for the ball to begin.

"Is that Hermione Granger? With Viktor Krum?", Padma asked, somewhere amongst the crowded audience with Ron.

"No, absolutely not", Ron lied, hating to face the truth that he was jealous Hermione wasn't with him, and of all people, she went with Krum.

They all eventually made their way to the dance floor, and waited a few moments for the music to play. Hazel and Harry were right at the front, unlucky for Harry, who seemed to have two left feet. Professor Flitwick was stood at the back in front of the orchestra, who held beautifully designed instruments that matched the theme of the hall. He lifted his pointer and swished it about as the orchestra followed, and played whimsical and classical music that created an enchanting and magical atmosphere. Harry delicately placed his hand on Hazel's waist, giving her a swarm of butterflies in her stomach. She blushed and smiled as he took her other hand and held it in the air. Hazel rested her hand on Harry's shoulder right before the music played.

At first, they were slightly out of sync, this was the first time they had danced with each other. When Hazel stepped left, Harry stepped right, and vice versa. Fortunately, it took them only a few seconds to get the hang of the dance, and eventually they were in sync. They switched hands and changed directions, Hazel was naturally a strong dancer, so Harry's two left feet were covered. Harry then lifted Hazel in the air, slightly taking a harder grip on Hazel's waist so she wouldn't fall. Hazel felt giddy inside, her heart raced. She was in a dream, her dream. Never in a million years did she ever think she'd dance with Harry Potter. They shared jocund smiles and enjoyed the rest of their dance before the professors and other students joined in.

First, Dumbledore graciously took McGonagall's hand as they started to dance too. Dumbledore was drenched in a long silver and blue gown whilst McGonagall wore a long, forest green dress that complimented her pointed hat. Even Filch was peacefully dancing and cradling Mrs Norris, who was purring and warmly sat in his comforting arms. Eventually, everyone joined in; Neville greeted Ginny on the floor, he extended his arm and linked with hers whilst they swished from left to right, Seamus brought a pretty girl named Lavender out to the floor too, shortly followed by Fred Weasley and Angeline. Hagrid was next, he looked quite timid, but glanced up and over to Olympe Maxime, who glanced down to him. He shifted his eyes to the dance floor whilst taking her hand, they then walked over to share a dance.

Whilst dancing with Harry, Hazel caught Hermione out of the corner of her eye, who was beaming with euphoria. Hazel felt beyond happy for Hermione and continued to smile. She even noticed Draco, who wore a fine white shirt and fitted black trousers, dance with a gorgeous girl. She had dark brunette hair that was short and trailed down just past her shoulders, she wore a short and figure hugging emerald dress and paired with silver jewellery. She looked familiar, but Hazel couldn't concentrate long enough to fully recognise the girl. Nevertheless, Draco surprisingly seemed to be enjoying the dance with her. Even the students that were the quietest, the meanest, the ones that rarely smiled, this ball created an atmosphere that no negativity could destroy, it was all pure happiness and warmth.