xxvii. a very grimmauld christmas (part one)

TWENTY SEVEN

THE NEXT MORNING WAS SPENT putting up Christmas decorations around Grimmauld Place

THE NEXT MORNING WAS SPENT putting up Christmas decorations around Grimmauld Place. Rory, as well as nearly everybody else was in an exceptionally cheerful mood. Rory had brought her radio to the kitchen where they were and got it to play muggle Christmas carols which Sirius seemed very pleased about. Ginny was concerned as Rory belted the lyrics to Last Christmas ("Jeez, Rory, why are all your muggle Christmas songs so depressing?"). She was even more concerned as Rory and Sirius unintentionally broke out in a duet of Baby, It's Cold Outside. Fred was all for it, though, and held out his wand for Rory to use as a pretend microphone.

Rory could not stop smiling the whole day. Despite the situation they were all in, the Weasleys all found ways to be happy. Although, Harry had not left his room all day and did not join them for breakfast or lunch. Rory was saddened he was missing out on all the fun, but knew he needed to rest and was probably going through a bit of emotional distress given the fact he had gotten a vision of Mr. Weasley's attack.

Sirius was someone Rory very much enjoyed the company of. He knew all her muggle songs and seemed to love Christmas just as much as the girl. Rory only wished Remus and her father were there to share their joy with everyone else.

However, they did get a visitor at around six o'clock. Hermione had appeared, cheeks flushed and flecks of snow still lingering in her frizzy hair. Although her arrival upset the portrait of Walburga, she was able to bring Harry out of hiding.

Also, Rory's Christmas wish did come true that night at dinner as Remus and Andrew arrived, as well as Tonks who was sporting red and green locks. However, Andrew did not come alone. Aaron was beside him with a wide grin, looking at the Christmas decorations with childlike wonder. Christine never put up anything other than a Christmas tree, so it was more than he was used to.

"Aaron!" Rory screeched, engulfing the boy in a tight hug, "You're staying with dad for Christmas?" Her heart began swelling with joy when she saw her younger brother. There was nothing in that moment that could make her happier.

"Indeed he is," Andrew smiled, taking his coat off, "You guys don't mind if he stays here with the kids when I'm at work though, do you?"

"Not at all!" Sirius exclaimed, "The more the merrier!"

"Mum is going to lose it," Aaron shrugged as he followed Rory into the kitchen, "Not that I care, though. I went off at her for bad mouthing you in every letter she sent me, told her I wasn't interested in hearing her speak poorly about my own sister... after that she stopped writing to me."

Rory could not tell if she should be happy or sad. Of course she was so elated to see Aaron and that they could be a proper family on her favorite holiday. However, it upset her that he was now receiving the same neglect Rory had to endure all those years.