xxxiii. there's no crying in quidditch

THIRTY THREE

THE NEXT MORNING, Marina had gotten out of bed and left the common room before Rory

THE NEXT MORNING, Marina had gotten out of bed and left the common room before Rory. Marina had also gotten in and gone to bed before Rory, the girl was wondering if maybe she hadn't stayed in the dormitory at all. However as much as Rory wished she could try and find her friend and talk to her, she had the match to worry about. Nerves coursed through her body as she went down to breakfast. The same energy of the students that she felt the morning of their first match was there, however the energy of the players were not. The Gryffindor team seemed especially gloomy as they ate together.

"I'll hit their Seeker with a Bludger," Zane said harshly, "I will."

"I know you will," Angelina sighed, "I wouldn't want to risk a penalty and we've never been one to play dirty but... if you can play it off as an accident."

Cleo bit into her jam covered toast and shook her head, "Is Hufflepuff any good? Last time Gryffindor played them we lost didn't we?"

"Only because Harry fell off his broom because of the dementors!" Ginny defended, "Besides, that was two years ago. They've got a new Seeker, Keeper, and a new Chaser since."

Rory felt her stomach drop. Hufflepuff did have a new Seeker. She didn't wish to be reminded of why.

"Yeah that bloke from the D.A is a Chaser," Zane rolled his eyes, "Zacharias. I saw the Ravenclaw match earlier in the year, he was wicked fast on his broom. I'll hit him with a Bludger too, on or off the pitch."

The girl cracked a smile and finished her breakfast. It seemed everyone in the castle was going to the match. With Umbridge taking all the fun away, everyone was holding on to Quidditch as the last form of entertainment left at Hogwarts.

The team made their way to pitch and got dressed rather quickly without saying much. All of them seeing just how many people were coming to watch made them very anxious.

Their pre-game rituals had become a lot less enthusiastic. Their roars had turned into soft meows and the McDowell twins didn't believe in hitting the doorframe on their way out of the locker room as a form of good luck.

Perhaps the two of them not following tradition had something to do with how everyone played. Rory got a bad feeling the second she stepped on to the pitch. Seeing Harry, Fred, and George in the crowed instead of behind her in uniform made her feel nauseous. Something else was off, though. She couldn't quite place it. All she knew was something horrible came over her as she saw Angelina and the Hufflepuff captain shake hands. She suddenly did not want to play anymore. There was a certain resentment to the game as she mounted her broom and began playing.