3.2| Grief and gift

*****

Those we love never truly leave us. There are things that death cannot touch."

*****

Death. Something so natural yet no one is ever ready to embrace it. The old, as much as the young, dread its presence. But as nature would have it, everyone must face death once in their lives, whether it is at their old age, in their youth or some seconds after being born. Death is death, and its greatest consequence is the woe that is left behind to the loved ones of the dead.

Sharleen stood some centimeters near the grave. A grave that ironically is supposed to house her husband, the man she was supposed to love for rich and for poor, in sickness and in health, the man that she had shared with her bed for the past two years!

Nicole stood next to Sharleen watching her friend like a hawk. Her eyes never wavering from Sharleen's body. Sharleen really looked like she was about to faint any minute. Her red puffy eyes, her tear stained cheeks and her running nose was making Nicole really really worried.

It was not Nicole alone that was worried though. Sharleen's parents were also making frequent sideway glances to their daughter, her mother more frequent than her father. If it were not for Sharleen's father holding onto his wife's hand, she would have a long time ago left his presence and joined her daughter.

All the others who attended the funeral just stood a few feet behind, watching the casket while shaking their heads silently. In their minds they pitied the short life lived by the one that was lifeless in the casket and pitied more the young wife that he had left behind.

The pastor read a few verses from the bible he had on his hands and when he was done, he spoke some words of encouragement to friends and relatives and prayed for the soul of the deceased to rest in peace.

All that followed was like a dream to Sharleen. Six gigantic men, of course Devlin included, carried the casket to their shoulders like it was nothing and headed to the grave. Women who still had the energy cried their voices out, while those who did not just let their tears flow silently. The men consoled their wives while trying their best to fight their own tears and children just stood awkwardly watching the grown ups acting all weird.

Sharleen did not shed any tear as she watched the casket descending slowly down the grave. The process was so slow that she thought it was that way to mock or torture her shattered heart. No sound escaped her mouth though. Not even a whimper. How could she when her throat was so dry that it could anytime crack? How could she when her body was too tired that she could not even lift a finger?

"Ashes to ashes and dust to dust." The pastor said simply as though he was talking about food. If it were another day Sharleen would have scoffed or even giggled at his nonchalant nature.

The pastor did not waste any time and grabbed the spade, scooped some soil and directed it to the grave. Sharleen was next according to the traditions. Because she did not have the strength of balancing a spade in her small hands, she bent down, picked a handful of soil in her delicate fingers and threw to grave. Goodbye Kevin, her heart screamed what the mouth could not.

The function went on pretty fast after that. People paid their last respects and soon enough the spades were the only things that did the talking. People watched as the grave was filled until it formed a bump. Then one by one people started departing, everyone retiring to their homes, until it was only a handful left.

After sometime, Sharleen looked around. Her eyes landed on Devlin some feet away. His eyes were glued to the bump on the grave but as if sensing her eyes he looked towards her and their eyes locked. Devlin gave her a sad smile and Sharleen nodded. That was the most she could do. If she were to try a smile she was sure it would look like a grimace.