Chapter 5

The boy walks

quietly 

down the hallway

5:07 PM

says his watch.

The school is empty

as it should be at 5:07 on a Friday.

His hand fidgets with the key 

on the key ring

in his right hand.

Coach gave it to him

so he could get some extra practice

be by himself for a little while

just to play the game

not have to worry 

about the score

about the clock

about the team

just to play the game

The boy pauses, his hand on the bar of the gym door. He can hear something from inside. Light footsteps. A ball swishing through the net. Who else did Coach give a key to? Nobody else... in the boys locker room. He unconsciously holds his breath as he opens the door, hoping and knowing.

It's her. He sees her at the far side of the gym, her back to him. She spins the ball in her hands, then shoots. The ball swishes through the net, and she catches it before it hits the ground. Then shoots again. A perfect rhythm, nearly soundless. He watches her play for a few heartbeats, before quietly closing the door behind him. The girl glances back, sees him and nods. No words are exchanged. None need to be. 

***************************************************************

She sees him

standing

ball in hand

shoes neatly laced

shirt straight

perfect as ever.

One thing different though

his face

is a little less guarded

a little less closed

a little more open

a little more free.

The girl nods to him and continues

to play

he joins in

right next to her

their basketballs moving practically in sync

The girl sneaks a glance at him out of the corner of her eye. His brow furrowed in concentration, the muscles visible under his shirt flexing as they move. A tiny blush comes to her cheeks as she watches him, and she hopes it is explained by exertion. Because there is no way he could like her like that, she tells herself. No way at all. So she returns her attention to her shot. And misses his glance.

The boy watches her. How she bit her lip as she lined up her arm, how the tip of her tongue protruded as she released. He doesn't get distracted when he plays. That's part of what makes him so good. But he is getting distracted now, seeing her so comfortable, so at home. So perfect. But there is no way she could like him like that. No way at all. So he continues practicing. And loses his chance.

***************************************************************

Much later

they leave

no words have been spoken

no sounds

other than the occasional

thump

of a loose ball.

The boy holds the door open for her

and she turns, gives him a smile

a smile he'd do anything to see again

and then the girl is gone.