16: What a Broken Heart Determines

Annabeth's POV:

When Luke pulled out that piece of paper, Annabeth's heart practically stopped.

She couldn't move, couldn't breathe, couldn't think. Then suddenly, it was like someone flipped a switch, and Annabeth started working again.

"No! Luke, don't!" She tried to reach for the paper, but Luke snatched it out of her reach. "Percy, you're gonna freak out once you find out. So first I'm gonna tie you up." He grabbed a piece of rope. Annabeth realized the weapons were gone. Luke was holding them. She wanted to escape, get help, but Luke, without even looking back as Percy struggled, said, "Don't even think of running away or attacking me. If you do, he dies."

Annabeth didn't want that.

So she stood, helpless, as Percy was tied up and gagged, and soon, so was she.

"Now, I'll show you the paper, Percy," Luke smirked. He pulled the paper out and unfolded it. There she was, Annabeth Chase, with her parents and brothers, wearing a dress, long hair covered with a hairkerchief and everything.

Without anything to say, Annabeth glanced at Percy.

At first, he looked like he was in shock. Then he looked at Annabeth, then back at the paper. Then he looked at Luke, who promptly ungagged him. "Is this-"

"Yes, it is. Your dear friend Andrew Glass is actually a girl, Annabeth Chase. She snuck out here and lied to you to become a knight. She led you on. She led you to believe she was your best friend. But under the wrong circumstances and the wrong identity." Luke laughed.

Annabeth was a really brave person. But she couldn't bring her eyes up to see Percy's expression. She just couldn't see it. She knew he would be mad, but most of all, hurt. Hurt that his best friend had kept her true identity a secret from him.

She closed her eyes, and a few minutes later, heard silence. She risked opening her eyes. Percy was gone. Luke pulled out her gag, and Annabeth knew she couldn't scream, or else he would put it back in. "Where did he go?" She said, her voice hoarse. "He's gone. Left to make sure Calypso was safe." Luke said, and smirked. Annabeth just felt exhausted. She didn't have any more fight left in her.

Her secret was out.

"Now," Luke said. "I have your weapon. And now it's time for you to go. Goodbye, Annabeth."

She closed her eyes, seeming like she was going with it, but her brain was rushing to think of a last minute plan to stay alive.

Suddenly, she had it.

"WAIT!" She yelled. Luke frowned at her. "Don't keep me waiting, Annabeth. What now?" She focused on keeping her breathing steady. "You don't want to kill me. Not just yet, Luke. We have to settle this the right way. Seriously, the rebels must have some honor, right? Would it be fair to kill me without a real fight?"

Luke sighed. "Annabeth, if this is a trick-"
"You know you're stronger than I am. You've beat me every time you've fought me except once. I'm weak and tired and exhausted and injured." Annabeth said. She crossed her fingers hoping Luke would agree, this was her only chance to live.

"Fine."

She was untied.

She stretched out her arms.

She grabbed her dagger.

She gauged her situation. Luke was more trained, taller, more bulky, alert, and healthy. Annabeth was tired, exhausted, tiny, sick, and wounded. But she knew she had to fight. Because even if this kingdom, this city kicked her out, even if she were executed, she would save them until her dying breath. For the people she cared about.

For Percy.

They circled each other. Luke jabbed. Annabeth dodged. She didn't want to expend more energy than she had to. Her brain was exhausted to, and all she could think about was sleep as she dodged Luke's blows. She knew he was trying to force her to fight, to give up her energy.

Then a memory arose. Her muscles remembered how Luke fought. She remembered her practice battles with him back home. She remembered to punch in the ways he taught her to.

She remembered.

Things were not going well. Annabeth was slowly losing. Luke forced her back. She needed help. She was dying. Luke had taught her and knew all her tricks. She tried to think of something original but she couldn't. No strategies popped up in her brain. She just did her best to force Luke off.

Bye, Percy.

That's when things changed.

Annabeth closed her eyes, waiting for the blow that would end her life, when a yell from Luke shocked her. She forced her eyes open as Luke and a certain green eyed warrior fought, clashing their swords. It was a whirlwind, too fast for Annabeth's eyes to see. Percy. You came.

She didn't know what happened next, but Luke's agonizing screams, she heard. "You-CHEATED!" He yelled. "Like you didn't." Percy said. Annabeth heard the effective smirk in his voice. She heard a last scream from Luke, and a short yell. "Okay! Fine I surrender! Stop please! No!"

Percy held a sword under his chin, Annabeth saw with blurry eyes, and took his weapons. Then he walked towards Annabeth. She wanted to say something, but she couldn't. The last thing she felt was a quick jab of pain, a pair of strong arms lifting her up, and Percy walking.

And, somehow, Annabeth just knew that she hadn't been forgiven. She fought to stay conscious and awake.

Her proof came by a minute later when a high voice yelled, "Percy!" Calypso. It was her. Annabeth felt Percy put her down and saw a blurry princess hug Percy. "You're- you're okay," Calypso went, tightening her grip. And when Annabeth saw Percy's lips meet Calypso's cheek, she didn't care anymore about fighting to stay conscious. She sighed and saw darkness.

The princess and the prince. Just like it was meant to be.

Or so they thought.

This chapter is dedicated to @mbcherrywrites_ in honor of her finishing her amazhang fanfic (What a Broken Heart Determines). Go check it out! (Mature content and violence and its kinda sad bit oh well. Also I'm a character in there!)

~Bookgirl xx