18: Love Goes Both Ways

Percy's Perspective:

The entire next day, Percy tried to distract himself. He went to council meetings in the day, sword fought with a new trainer in the afternoon, and planned out the now-impending wedding in the evening. He wouldn't let himself think about her. He couldn't even say her name anymore.

The one positive thing he could think about was not seeing Calypso. Sure, she was nice, but it would just add some extra stress and make his life so much more confusing. Apparently it was untraditional to see your fiancé until the wedding. Calypso told him that she would be sad, but Percy wasn't too sad.

Was that mean?

Even though Percy did get his life together, he couldn't help looking for Andr- Annabeth a few times. Did she go home? Did she just leave?

Or was she executed?

Percy couldn't help hoping that she wasn't.

Something happened that completely changed the flow of rhythm before the soon-to-come wedding.

Calypso knocked on his door. "Percy?"

He opened it. "I thought we weren't supposed to see each other before the wedding."

She smiled slightly. "Yeah, but emergencies should be fine."

He opened the door fully and she came in and sat on the large couch in his suite. Percy sat down on his bed, which had become his comfort item over the past few weeks.

"Percy, I have to tell you something important," Calypso said.

"...What?" Percy said. He knew what she was going to say, and he was waiting for the rush of happiness.

"I love you."

No rush. No happiness. Just an aching feeling in Percy's gut.

"I-I..." Percy stuttered. He couldn't make himself say it back.

She leaned in, but Percy turned his head. The kiss fell on his cheek.

"Let's wait until the wedding. You know, first special kiss and all." He plastered on a fake smile.

Calypso evidently noticed. "Oh, okay. Um- I have to go." She quickly left the room, disappointed. Percy watched her go, confused.

Just confused.

Annabeth's Perspective:

Now that most of my friends and the knights had accepted me, there were two more people that I wanted to forgive me. Two people that hadn't talked to me for weeks.

Percy.

And Hazel.

"Annabeth, I've tried talking to her. Multiple times." Frank had told me. "She just-- closes off when I talk to her about you. But don't worry. She'll come around, I know she will." He added hastily, after seeing the look on my face.

Because we all knew the truth.

That was a friend. Gone.

;;;

"Hey Annabeth, everyone's preparing for the wedding. So we gotta do some extra work around here. Today, you're running the mail slot." Piper said, shaking Annabeth awake. Thankfully, as a helper, she got a lot more sleep than when she was a knight.

"Okay, why not?" Annabeth said. She climbed out of bed and quickly got ready into her outfit. It was weird to wear dresses after wearing tunics, and cover her short hair, but she was falling back into the pattern again, of using her normal voice, walking submissively, looking down when someone else spoke and barely speaking unless she was spoken to.

And she hated every single second of it.

When she was ready, she quickly gobbled up a piece of toast inside the kitchen, watching the knights eating out at the table. Percy was sitting at the edge, Calypso sitting next to him. They were talking and laughing, and Annabeth just wished those sea green eyes could've been looking at her instead.

It was like she didn't exist to him anymore.

After a depressing breakfast of being jealous, Annabeth went over to the mail slot and sat down, depressed. She was thinking about ways to get Percy to notice her and forgive her when a random letter popped out of the slot.

Jerked out of her thoughts, Annabeth pulled out the piece of paper and turned it over. She read the address and realized: it was Luke's handwriting.

Why was he writing to the palace?

Annabeth quickly looked around to find nobody else looking. She turned the envelope over and pulled out the letter. She smoothed it out, her hands trembling.

To the rebel spy~

I hope you are working on the wedding plans. When we come in for our surprise attack, everyone will be shocked. I cannot wait to kill our two victims. Getting rid of them will be such a big break. They are the only two who will stop us from getting the kingdom. I will take care of them. While they are still mad at each other, we will be able to get a lot done, and nobody will know. I cannot wait, dear spy. Soon we will have the kingdom to ourselves.

Luke Castellan

Annabeth was shocked. It had to be Percy and Calypso! They weren't mad at each other, but maybe they were hiding it from everyone. Or maybe Luke got his facts wrong. Probably the second one.

Most of all, she worried. The wedding day! She had to warn Percy and give him the letter. It was the only way things would get better.

She rushed out of the mail room, ignoring the surprised looks on everyone else's faces. She rushed to Percy's room and opened the door. "Percy!"

A series of emotions came across Percy's face. Shock, happiness, anger, and then a mask of calm. "An-annabeth? What are you-"

"We have an emergency," she panted. "The rebels- they're coming back. On your wedding day. With Calypso. They're going after you two. I intercepted a letter-" She threw the letter to him as she spoke.

"Annabeth. I. Don't. Care." Percy interrupted. Annabeth's eyes widened in surprise. Percy's eyes were cold. "This is probably just a trick. There's no way I can trust you, after what you did."

"Percy, why would I lie about this?"

"It's Your Highness to you." Percy said. The last thing Annabeth saw before guards pulled her away was Percy ripping the letter to shreds and throwing it in the trash pile.