Chapter 18

HARRY POTTER

DAY 21

It's finally come. The day we have to give up our son.

Three weeks ago, I was desperately wishing away my time with the baby and Malfoy, eager to get back to normalcy as soon as possible. I never thought that I would feel this devastated when the time was up.

I know they warned us, I know they told us not to get too attached, but really, I think it was inevitable. I love Jamie. I don't want to go back to a life without him. I don't even care if he's some kind of simulation or doll, he's my son and I don't want to have to say goodbye.

I know Malfoy is feeling the same as me. We haven't talked about it, I think that would be too hard for both of us, but I just know.

We walk side by side to McGonagall's classroom, holding hands. I know normally Malfoy wouldn't be comfortable with a display of affection like that, but I also know that today, he needs it. I think I do to.

It hurt to clean out our room. Not only did we have to sort out all of the baby things; we had to sort out all of our stuff. We'd be moving back into the dormitories now. I was losing both of my roommates in a single day.

We weren't meant to take anything, most of the baby stuff was being donated to the maternity ward of St Mungo's. But I couldn't help it- I took one of the wooden building blocks. So many memories felt tied to it; Jamie's first words, and the first time I saw Malfoy. I mean really saw Malfoy, as more than a friend.

We reach the classroom and it suddenly hits that this is over. I'm not ready. The last three weeks have been some of the best of my whole life. I don't want to let them go. The first tear trickles down my cheek and I (loudly) sniff. Malfoy looks over, pain in his eyes too and squeezes my hand. I want to hug him, but you'd literally have to pry me away from my last moments holding Jamie.

We enter the room. It's like a graveyard. Basically everyone is crying. Some people have already given back their babies. As far as I can work out, all we have to do is hand them over to McGonagall and she takes them into her office. I don't want to think about what happens in there, if she 'turns them off' or factory resets them or something.

Before I know it, its our turn. Tears flow freely down my face and even Malfoy keeps having to wipe his eyes.

"Goodbye Jamie, you were the best son we could've ever asked for." He says. I'm glad he did, because I don't know if I could speak.

I hold him one more time, and then we have to let our son go.

Emptiness fills my heart. Malfoy wraps his arms around me and I know I'm not alone.

"Eighth years, I want to thank you all for your cooperation today, I know this can't be easy for any of you. I also want to take this opportunity to congratulate you on how well you have handled this challenge. It's one that many adults can't do." McGonagall's eyes rim with tears, and it makes me cry harder, seeing our normally cold headmistress show emotion in this way. "I am so proud of all of you, seeing how much you've changed since first year, and then how you've grown up since all of the tragedies and challenges you were forced to face last year. You should be proud of the people you've become, and I know you will all be ready when you have to leave Hogwarts."

Draco squeezes my hand and when I look over at him, he kisses my cheek in a room of all our closest friends. I might have lost Jamie today, but I will forever thank my stars that he brought Malfoy to me.