Where 'Em Parents At??

Ever read a story (both in Wattpad and in published works) and you just sit there wondering all the adults are?

You know, where the boy/girl spend the night together all the time even if it is on the couch. Where the main character never goes home. Or where the main character suddenly goes on tour with One Direction for a year? Um your 16, you are in high school even IF it's summer, do you think your parents would be cool with you being on a bus with 5 guys for a whole summer? Or how about the fact all 5 of the boys are adults and you're 16? Isn't that weird that the boys want someone who it's illegal to be with, with them 24/7?

Okay, now this is turning into an Unrealistic Plot Line rant so I will stop and get back to the point. Adults are in the real world, it is realatable to have parents who stand in the way of your teenage desires. Just dismissing and writing off parents has become so over used in fan-fiction however it happens a lot in other genres also. In my opinion, it is a very easy cop-out for not thoroughly thinking through a plot.

I know there are arguments of  dead beat parents and yes I know they are especially found in teen and children literature.  I can name a ton off the top of my head:  Adventures of Huckleberry Finn Pap is the town drunk and altogether a wreck.  Cinderalla and Wizard of Oz have dead or absent parents. Even Disney and ABC'S shows have parents who are slightly clownish. Dora the Explora her parents obviously never taught her to not talk to strangers, go off in weird places without them, to report thieft and so on. Hunger Games - Katniss was the mom and well her mom was the depressed hate the world teenager. Peeta's parents hit him over a piece of bread and in their final goodbyes to their son  they implied he was going to die and did not care. Twilight - Belle's parents just let her go for the most part, while maintaining a clueless state. Delirium by Lauren Oliver - Lena's mom is dead. Alex's parents are dead. Who knows what is going on with Hana's for the most part when they aren't judging their daughter's best friend. Mortal Instruments - Clary's mom lies to her and her father is MIA. Jace's parents are dead. The Lightwoods are never around. 

 BUT at least they are mentioned! At least their feelings (even if it is not very parental) are expressed about their child. And that helps with not only making the story relatable but also it says a lot about the MC. A child's relationship to their parents says a lot about them especially when they are teens and young adults, even if we do not like it. 

Also, a lot of teens have rocky relationships with parents but that does not mean your average parent would let their child run wild with a pop star without ever forbidding them or even saying how long will you be gone.

--------------------------------------------------

You have an endless word count,could you throw us a bone (and your character) and let us know what the adults think about their teenager? Because I do not relate to have no rules but I do relate to an over bearing parent and one deadbeat. It also makes the story seem more plausible.

This is just my opinion, you are more than welcome to leave you opinion below in the comments if you agree or disagree.