Twilight has already been written

Thought I should put that out there. Now, I am not hating on all vampire stories but when someone literally tells the whole story of Twilight just with a different male character and themselves as Bella. I have seen this with Twilight, The Hunger Games, Harry Potter, Charmed and once with The Vampire Diaries.

I am going to use the The Vampire Diaries as the example :

The first five chapters of the Wattpad story (with a different name and was not listed as a fanfic) was completely the same as the first three episodes of the tv show. I mean down to who was killed, how it opened and what the characters said. I thought I would go back and watch the plot and see if I was just remembering things wrong. To my shock, I realized the author of the story had typed out everything the characters said and just changed the names.

I mean really? That right there is copyright infringement. But that is an extreme case, most of the time the events are just strikingly similar to a popular book/movie and the characters are renamed. Which is not what fanfics are meant to be. They should explore parts the author didn't and not just re-telling the whole story. Fanfics can be a great learning tool for inspiring writers, who have yet learned to craft character design but stories like those give us all a bad name.