Chapter 11: Day 226

Ensigns Log, Stardate 51824.91. The repairs we made on the Nihydron vessel were completed a lot quicker then I'd anticipated. We've set a course for Voyager and have been travelling at high warp for at least half a day, and we have also picked up a distress call leading us straight to their position. The two other Nihydron vessels that Forhn called in for extra support are travelling alongside us. Whether or not they fully comprehend the dangers they're about to cruise into, they do a pretty good job at hiding their fears. Maybe the Nihydron don't fear death?

"Ensign, I am picking up a vessel. A few hundred kilometres ahead," Orbin stated from his helm station. Ensign Lee strode over from Tactical and leaned over the screen to see a familiar outline of a Federation class vessel. He smiled.
"It's Voyager," he remarked and turned to look over his shoulder at the young Engineer sitting next to Forhn at the command station. She exchanged an affectionate smile with the security officer, butterflies fluttering in her stomach making her feel giddy with nerves. It was like coming home after a long term away mission, a similar sensation she used to feel when returning home from her training at the Academy every summer.
With nostalgia heavy on her mind, she almost missed the static crackle coming over the com system followed by a gravelly voice slowly breaking through the disturbance.

"Th- is Capt- ay of the S- ship Voy- ger. Plea- respon-"

The engineer's eyes widened and her grip on the arm rests of her seat tightened to the point where her knuckles turned white.
"She's alive," she muttered to herself. Forhn glanced at her curiously, small eyes blinking as she looked back at the grey alien's questioning gaze.
"It's Captain Janeway," she explained, heart overjoyed that at least someone on board Voyager was still alive after all these months.

Whilst attempting to clear the disturbance, Forhn also ordered for a visual of the Federation ship on the view screen. Swallowing back the lump in her throat, Ensign (y/n) watched as the vessel blinked into view. The breath caught in her lungs and she almost leapt up out of her seat; Voyager was a mess. A complete battle scarred, metal jarred, engine burned, hull torn mess. Before she knew it, she was already going over the unbelievable amount of repair jobs that it would need to be able to survive another Krenim wave, which was highly improbable. There were two other cruisers a similar size to Voyager stationed nearby, but who they were she couldn’t tell.

"Hail them," Forhn ordered in his soft melodic voice and Orbin swiped at the terminal screen to open a channel. The visuals wouldn't transmit as Voyager was in so bad a condition, but the sound wasn't an issue. Forhn got to his feet and walked a few slow steps to the edge of the command platform, hands cradled together at his waist.

"Captain Janeway. We are Nihydron. We heard your distress call. How may we assist?"

~~

After a difficult to interpret conversation with the Captain of Voyager, Forhn agreed to help them track down the Krenim Imperial ship and to aid in the rescue of their Commanding officers. What he didn't explain was that they had already known about Voyager's condition and had already installed the temporal shielding. This was at the personal request of the two Ensigns. Even though Lieutenant Tuvok had asked the security officer to send back reinforcements, the Vulcan never intend for the Ensign to come back with them as well.

"I wish we could tell them that we're alright," she sighed into her hand as they sat at the long table in the dining room, "Especially Neelix."

"I know, but it's best not to cause more worry on their part. I don’t think they would appreciate the fact we've disobeyed direct orders either," Lee replied truthfully, sitting opposite the engineer and offering her a glass of water. It had the juice of a Nihydron home world plant laced into it, a sweet flavour that made their tongues feel warm just like the orange stew had. Swallowing the exotic drink, they hummed at the deliciousness of its unique flavour.