Chapter 14

For the next few weeks, I barely talked to Jazz. I replied vaguely to her texts and was short with her on the phone. That day at her house was still stuck in my head and I wasn't very good at hiding my feelings when they boiled up this much. I was keeping my distance so that Jazz wouldn't have to experience the sarcastic asshole side of me that I so desperately wanted to unleash on her. I was hurt, really hurt. I wanted something with Jazz and I thought she felt the same. But as love and relationships usually goes with me, I got nowhere.

I spent the next couple weeks with my best friend. Every minute of free time I had, I was with her. I didn't tell her why I wanted to spend so much time with her but Chelle knew something was up. At this point, I hadn't told her about my lil stud on stud affair that I had dabbled in. She knew I was talking to someone, getting to know someone new, but she never got many details. I usually brushed it off like it wasn't that important.

--------------------------

New Year's was approaching and I always spent it with my best friend. Every year since High School, me and Chelle were always together to count down the new year. This year was going to be no different. 

When New Year's Eve hit, I woke up at Chelles house. I made my way to the living room where she was sitting reading a book. I couldn't really make out what it was but the word ZANE was written across the bottom of the book in bold letters so I knew what type of story it was. I laughed to myself. My best friend was a freak. But so was I, so I guess we were best friends for a reason. 

"Hey gurl." I said, making my presence known.

"Hey sleepy head." Chelle replied putting the book down. "So what are we doing tonight?"

"Dang can I wake up fully before yu bombard me with questions please??" I retorted jokingly.

"C'monnnn.. we didn't make plans yet and new years is TONIGHT!" Chelle whined.

"Okay okay. What do you wanna do?" I asked. 

"Well, there's this guy I've been talking to...." Chelle started.

"Aw hell you wanna do some straight shit don't you?" I half-complained placing my hand on my face miserably.

"Well, no I just want him to come with us. It doesn't matter what we do." Chelle pleaded.

"Ahhhhh but iont wanna be the third wheel" I told her.

"Invite someone over then! Didn't you say you were talkin to somebody? Bring her! I still haven't met her yet anyway." Chelle suggested.

"Na I'm not really talkin to her on that level where I wanna spend new years with her. She just a random really." I answered, trailing my words at the end.

Chelle looked at me suspiciously, knowing damn well I was lying. "Well, bring somebody then."

"Aight, Imma call my homie." I said after thinking about Kay. 

------------------------------------------

Later that afternoon, Kay and Chelle's friend Terence were at the apartment with us. Terence had brought a bottle of my lady 1800 Silver (as a peace offering for meeting the best friend I guess. Shit, I wasn't complaining). We all sat in the living room and took shot after shot. It wasn't even close to the end of the night and we were all feeling AMAZING. The drinks, the laughs, the company. Everything had me already forgetting Jazz and how I was friend-zoned. 

At around 7 o'clock, Terence spoke up. "So hey, I got this party I was going to go to tonight. Did yall wanna come? There's gone be madd alcohol, tree to go around, madd people. Yall would have fun."