Chapter XIX

Everyone silently decided to keep their mouth shut about what had happened in chorus, afraid of offending the young masters of two of the most powerful and well-known sects. But obviously, word of what took place in the area wouldn't be kept all to those that were present. Naturally, words would slip here and there and it would sooner or later become the talk of the town until they find something even more interesting and settle on running their mouths away with another topic to kill time.

In order to immediately blow off the nearly exploding anger of YunmengJiang Sect's disciples before the mood would dampen even more and cause unnecessary conflicts between sects, they pushed other contestants to step in the field and face off without even giving anyone the chance to breathe and prepare themselves. This led to some performances leaving disastrous shame on their sect's name and history. The previous fight really did cause some to feel quite distressed.

The few poor and debilitated souls who were unfortunate enough to fight disciples from the Wen Clan weren't even able to show their full prowess for they were too scared that they would be forced to participate in another duel just to clear their names. They'd rather swallow their pride and taint the corner of their master's white robes rather than go all off and get humiliated even further, along with some cuts and bruises to bring home with them.

One by one, each disciple from different or the same sect or clan would face-off, each becoming more and more arrogant from the constant shouts of encouragement their seniors and juniors threw at them, fueling their desire to win. It was natural that one would end up winning and the other would end up losing, but they would stand up and even help the other up, exchange a few good words here and there and exchange words sprinkled with empty flattery accompanied with smiles even though it was clear how much they detested the results, most especially their opponents.

Some would stumble along and walk in with their now-clumsy moves because of the nervousness that makes their cold-sweat-coated hands tremble. Even some of the arrogant young masters were disinclined to participate after seeing the horrible outcomes that befell on most of the losing sides because their opponents didn't even bother to actually hold back and treated them as if they were feral walking corpses.

Not all competitions were of the same kind. It may be a battle of speed, strength, agility, etc.; it all depended on the decision of both parties.

Wen Chao was dumbfounded about how so easily he was swayed by the crowd today that he felt like a stupid dog blindly following orders. For the sake of trying not to lose face in front of him, here he now is, trying so hard to please these lowlifes. He found himself extremely laughable and stupid.

But as Wei WuXian's face appeared in his head, he brushed the thought away, for he had sworn that he'd try and become a better person to gain the admiration of others, most especially a specific Omega's. With nothing else left to do, he amused himself with the matches along with the others, deliberately forcing himself to forget what he had just done and racked his brain for a way to make it up for the other.

But no matter how much he tried, he failed to keep his mind occupied and now he was left in pure frustration. He snatched a snack from one of the plates beside him, startling the servant who was meekly passing on little dishes for the guests to enjoy along with their fellow servants and gobbled down the sweet pastry until crumbs came falling down the floor and hanging around the corners of his mouth.

Nie HuaiSang threw himself onto Wei WuXian the moment after hearing his brother's words, causing the older one to nearly tumble down the ground from the unexpected extra weight. If Nie HuaiSang hadn't tried so hard into trying to hold himself from breaking down, tears and snot would have been seen clearly running down his woeful state of a face. He stared into Wei WuXian's eyes, tears clinging down the corner of his eyes, hoping to look as pitiful as he could to gain their sympathy.